Old Habits are hard to break

6cats2dogs
on 9/29/04 3:47 am - Jefferson, GA
Okay, here goes nothing. I have always had the habit of getting very nervous before meeting anyone I have never seen before. I have always been judged by my size and looks. I know that no one in this group will be judgeing anyone but how do you break that feeling? My mind says it will be fine but my nerves will be a mess on the 9th. I love to joke and cut up but I also have a serious side too. Any ideas on how to break this habit? Thank you in advance. hugs, Debra
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/04 4:22 am - Warner Robins, GA
I can relate! The anticipation is a killer! The best way to overcome it is to just do it!! Once you get there and get a bunch of welcome hugs you'll feel at home and feel so silly for ever being nervous!! Hugs, Tonya
6cats2dogs
on 9/29/04 4:26 am - Jefferson, GA
Thank you Tonya. I know it will be great, just have to get there and do it. Hugs, Debra
cathy M.
on 9/29/04 4:51 am - hiram, GA
Debra, I know just how you are feeling, I am going for the first time as well,and I am a mix of nervous, excited emotions. I can't honestly say that I will ever get over thinking that people are judging me, you see, the outside me is much different than the inside me, I still feel like I am the person that weighed 268lbs.Anyway I will be bringing along my husband for my moral support, what about you? I'm not sure if you are married or not, but you could also bring a friend. Hope to see you there... Take Care Cathy Martin
6cats2dogs
on 9/29/04 4:54 am - Jefferson, GA
I am like you Cathy. I don't know if I will ever get over it but I will conquer it. Yes, my dear sweet hubby is coming with me. He is my rock and main support. If it wasn't for him I would not have made this journey alone. I look forward to meeting you on the 9th too. Hugs, Debra
LittleLifsey
on 9/29/04 10:22 am - Jacksonville, FL
Debra, I was the same way last time, however it was so nice riding with Phylis and Robin, so by the time I got there I had 2 friends and didnt have to walk in alone and find the group and not knowing anyone. HAving a drink when I got there helped a little. shhh dont tell.... Your feelings I think have and still are felt by many many of us. My husband has always been outgoing and just not a shy bone in his body I dont feel so out of shape when I go places with him however I am so shy and just nervous when I have to go places by myself so I can totally relate. Hopefully others can help us. lynn
6cats2dogs
on 9/29/04 5:56 pm - Jefferson, GA
I agree with you too Lynn. Even when I was thin I was the same way. I must just be insecure about making new friends. My friend of 20 years decided to stop talking to me a few years ago because she kept making passes at my husband and I told her to stop. So I guess that wasn't much of a friendship after all. But I love to meet people. I love to make people laugh and feel good. Then I feel okay. It makes me feel good to help others and to make them feel wanted and cared for. Thank you and I look forward to meeting you on the 9th. Hugs, Debra
nonamedamet
on 9/29/04 11:15 pm - GA
Debra, I too suffer from this problem. This will be my first time as well and while I am excited and looking forward to it very much, I am also nervous as all get out. Too bad we couldn't have had surgery on the brain as well to get rid of this old hang ups. If my DH cannot come I am going to try and find someone else to go with me. Keep in mind and remind me too, we are in this together and we already "know" everyone-they except us and like us just the way we are. Maybe the most important thing is we all understand where we have been and are trying to get too. Hugs and prayers, Theresa
6cats2dogs
on 9/30/04 6:22 am - Jefferson, GA
I am not sure what the DH satnads for but I have a good idea. LOLOL My hubby and I both plan on being there unless something happens between now and then. I can't wait to meet all these greta people. Hugs, Debra
modeanryan
on 10/1/04 11:09 pm - Duluth, GA
You know, the first one I went to was in August, and the whole way there, I kept thinking..."WHY are you doing this, I don't want to go"...but once I got there I had the BEST time, and HATED it when it was time to go.... Just fight the nerves, c'mon in, and have a blast!! I am a queen cut up and jokester...so c'mon over and let it rip!! I CAN'T WAIT to meet you!! -Tami
Most Active