FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO BE HEALTHY

modeanryan
on 9/29/04 3:21 am - Duluth, GA
This is an excerpt straight from the monthly newsletter I get from my surgeon's office. I will post this to the main board as well. "Our practice's contacts at Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Georgia have indicated the insurance comapny is moving toward denying coverage for bariatric surgery. We don't know all the facts yet, but this situation underscores the importance of patients being active and vocal advocates for their own health care. Don't panic about whether your surgery will be covered. The pen is a mighty weapon when fighting for what's right, so use it. Let BCBS know that you won't stand by while bureaucrats discriminate against obese patients by denying them access to medically necessary treatment. Remind them of the statistics regarding obesity being one of the most preventable causes of death in this country, and how much less expensive it is to pay for one procedure that eliminates co-morbidities than it is to maintain a person suffering from them. Regarding HMO and POS Policies contact: Daniel Salina, M.D. Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA 3350 Peachtree Rd. Atlanta, Ga. 30325 Regarding PPO policies, contact: J.B. Hunt, M.D. Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA P. O. Box 7368 Columbus, Ga. 31908" I thought this was important enough to pass on... Pull out the paper and pen folks...let's get busy writing...for those of us who have been fortunate enough to have had our surgery, let's do what we can to make sure our friends can have it as well. -Tami
GAMARY
on 9/29/04 3:34 am - SMYRNA, GA
HELLO EVERYONE: I ALSO HEARD THAT ATENA IN GA WILL NOT COVER THIS NEXT YEAR BUT I DON'T HAVE ANY DATA ON WHO TO WRITE TO. I WILL TRY TO FIND OUT AND LET YALL KNOW GOOD LUCK MARY
6cats2dogs
on 9/29/04 3:39 am - Jefferson, GA
I read this too Tami. I will write and have all my friends write them too. I agree that we have to help keep this option open for the people who haven't had the surgery yet. Who knows, knowing me I might hand deliver a ton of mail to them in person and tekk them about all the people *****ally need this and how they are destroying lives by canceling this option in the insurance. Think that would help? lolol I can be very outspoken when companies take others lifes in their own hands. Just my opinion. Hugs to all, Debra
snikpoh1
on 9/29/04 4:58 am - lithonia, GA
Thanks Tami for that heads up, I've been shopping for new health insurance since I've been declined by both Kaiser and Humana because basically "I'm too fat" for them to insure me. BC/BS was going to be my next stop, I don't know I'm at my wits end with these insurance companies I think they would rather see me unhealthy and on meds for the rest of my life or dead.
nonamedamet
on 9/29/04 11:10 pm - GA
Okay so this is really griping my a$$. I will be writing for sure especially since this is a short-sighted exclusion. Do they not understand that those who are in need of this life changing operation will end up costing them more in the long run for health related issues? Healthy people do not have to go to the doctor very often! I could scream since I cannot stand stupidity! Thanks for sharing the information, I fully intend to do my part, Theresa
Most Active