Pre-op gift bags

Kay Holder
on 9/28/04 11:53 am - Mableton, GA
Well I got a good response, so I will start this. We have 2 regular posters who are having surgery before our metting, so I will do those and mail them out. I will make some kind of "box" for people to donate to, so it will be anonymous per say.. no one will know if you donated, or how much. I will put the recipts and such on my website every month, just so incase anyone wants to see, they can. I will also take pics of the bags, so peeople can get an idea of what;s in them and such. We can try to convince members to come to the meeting to meet us, and if not, we will work it out how to get it to that member Some ideas i found for the bags are: Small saucer (I thought this was cute) protein samples (I will send out a reminder for everyone.. if you'll bring a ziploc bag with a sample of your protien and write on it how to mix, and what it is.. ) Wooden spoons small before and after photo album small container.. like the throw away glad ware candles recipes fabric tape measure SF pudding, Jello, and CIN SF hot chocolate SF hard candies magazines.. You can bring me your old ones, and we can use those! some small mini-fans (depending on budget) mini strainers Phone #'s for them to call if they feel down or need encouragement chap stick travel size lotions travel toothbrushes and paste I figure I can out together everything I listed above for about 20 or so a bag, and some months we might have 3 or 4 people, and then no people for a few months. Anyone have anything to add to the list?
modeanryan
on 9/28/04 12:42 pm - Duluth, GA
Sounds like you thought of everything!! Great thing you are doing!! Thanks Kay!! -Tami
lstivers
on 9/28/04 1:43 pm - Bogart, GA
Kay, you are amazing!!! -Paige
Haziefrog
on 9/28/04 11:39 pm - AR
Wow that looks a lot like my list, LOL!!! I just wanted to tell you that you can get things like the mini fans, mini strainers, and tape measures at the Dollar Tree. I have been making these for Wings since Feb 2003, and we have had great success with them, everybody loves their bags. Here is my list in case you missed anything!! Here are some ideas of things that have been donated in the past........ ~Protein samples ~put a scoop in a zip lock bag and make a tag w/name and how to mix. ~Sugar free Jell-O, Pudding, Hot chocolate, candy ~Magazines ~ they do not have to be new just something for the new post-op to read while recouping. ~Mini fans ~Mini strainers ~Note with words of encouragement/advice/phone # if they need someone to call ~Chap stick ~Hand lotion ~Broth, soups ~Bullion cubes ~Wooden spoons ~Photo albums ~Note papers/pens ~Candles ~Recipes ~Small containers ~Tape measures ~Gift bags ~ to put everything into! Anything that you think a new post-op may need. Thank you again to everyone participating in our pre-op gift bags! We have had some really great gift bag donations this past year. We are currently giving out about 5-7 bags a month. Good luck, Hazel
Kay Holder
on 9/29/04 12:59 am - Mableton, GA
You know, I had found a word document I had saved a long time ago, and couldnt remember where it came froim but it was probably you as I was a wings member awhile back. If so, its a great list and sorry I couldnt remember where I found it! in fact, wings is probably where I found the idea.
Haziefrog
on 9/29/04 1:08 am - AR
No problem, I am glad I could help! I love doing the bags, the pre-ops get so excited when they get their bags. It make the surgery seem that much more real to them. You really want to encourage members to get them at meetings (or someone to take it to them in the hospital), because mailing them gets VERY expensive as they are very heavy. Good luck, if you have any questions on how we do them please feel free to email me. Hazel
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/04 1:01 am - Warner Robins, GA
Great ideas!! I'm glad that we can start doing this here on the GA board. I think it's a wonderful gesture. Tonya
nonamedamet
on 9/29/04 12:17 am - GA
Sounds great to me. Hugs and prayers, Theresa
maureenk
on 9/29/04 2:06 am - Jefferson, GA
I think this is a fantastic idea, and you are so good to coordinate it. Can folks not able to attend the meetings contribute as well?
Kay Holder
on 10/1/04 11:27 pm - Mableton, GA
absolutely. I set up a paypal account for everything, and it will all be logged here: shrinkingkay.com/gifts.html the paypal addy is [email protected]
Most Active