Anyone Else???

nonamedamet
on 9/18/04 11:36 pm - GA
I am 3 weeks post op and still getting used to my new eating and drinking habits. Is anyone else missing something?? I am doing okay with everything except I miss carbonated drinks, even a diet drink would be awesome at this point. I drink mostly water and that taste good, and it was what I was drinking a month before my surgery but I fight the urge everyday not to have a carbonated drink. I have even found myself taking sips from my DH Dr Pepper, and I never really been a fan of DP, but it tastes good now only it will make my belly hurt for a minute. But I still do it. What is my deal, I can leave everything else alone, at least I have so far but this one thing. Anyone else? Any advice? Hugs and prayers, Theresa
modeanryan
on 9/19/04 12:28 am - Duluth, GA
Oh yeah!! I miss ADVIL!!! I miss caffeinated drinks, and I miss getting stupid eating pasta!! However, what I DON'T miss, is feeling miserable all the time, not having any energy, etc. etc. The "missing of the foods" doesn't outweigh the benefits of dropping this weight. Theresa, I don't really know what to tell you about carbonated drinks, except that I have had exactly 2 sips off of my kids drinks a couple of times, JUST so I could feel the burn! LOL! There are a lot of things out there now that can sort of replace the foods we miss. I just found that Quaker is now making my favorite instant oatmeal (maple & brown sugar) with lower sugar content, and I can eat that. There are sugar free chocolates that are pretty inexpensive at Walgreens, Special K has a low carb cereal, etc, etc... You know.. more than anything, I think I at about 3 weeks, I felt like I was sort of wandering around not knowing what to do with the time I used to invest in chowing down! Every now and then (early this morning for example) I kinda walk into the kitchen wondering "what do I want?". Then I remember how limited my options are and I get just a tiny bit bummed... But do you know what I have done?? I put my scale in the kitchen!! Now, the kitchen is the place I associate with seeing how much weight I have lost, not the place I associate with eating all the time... I know....stupid mind game, but hey... I'm just gullible enough!! Hang in there girl!! I don't know if I was any help at all, but I can relate to you!! -Tami
nonamedamet
on 9/19/04 11:07 pm - GA
You are always a help because you do relate and you take the time to offer support. God Bless you and yours, Theresa
Siddy I.
on 9/19/04 1:39 am - Savage, MN
I missed stuff up until I was a little over a year out. Now I dont care cause I can find something else to have in its place. Its no biggie now. But did you know.... If you keep taking sips of drinks and a little bits of sugar stuff here and there, you CAN open yourself up for trouble down the road. You can outsmart your WLS and your body will allow you to eat more and more sugar. Sugar=calories, and cals are our enemy. I've seen too many post-op after 2 or more years out start gaining 20 plus pounds and EVERYONE of them did sugar early post-op. I"M NOT PREACHING but I want you to think about it cause I want EVERYONE to be a LONG term success not just for the here and now. If you have to have a carbonated drink, make sure its diet, put it in a tall glass with lots of ice and stir it around for a bit to get rid of some of the carbonation. Then take sips. Good luck! Sidney
nonamedamet
on 9/19/04 11:16 pm - GA
Thanks Sidney. I needed to hear that. I don't want to be one of the ones that works around the tool. So no more sips from my DH drink. I haven't been playing around with sugar otherwise so this was a good wake up call about starting small, and it escalating out of control. Hugs and prayers, Theresa
Most Active