HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL!!!

Sheila M.
on 9/18/04 5:55 am - Athens, GA
Thank-you to the many people who wished me well and offered their thoughts and prayers -it worked! I'm home from the hospital!!!! Yeah!!! Now I can get some rest! If it wasn't for having my new husband, Kevin there by my side, I am not so sure I would ever have gotten out! It's a long story so I won't bore you with it, but if you ever go into a hospital, have someone with you who is NOT afraid to question the doctors! I am kind of ticked off. I gained 12 pounds in the hospital - on no food, just clear liquids! How long does it take to lose some significant weight after you are post-op? Did anyone give you detailed instructions - like do I continue to use the Spirometer (the suck-up meter)? Did you get a pharmacist familiar with bariatric surgery to go over your med list? (We FINALLY got some info out of the doctor sfter Kevin dragged it out of him)! The extent of my instructions were "Don't lift anuthing over 20 pounds" and "Do not drive while taking you pain medication." Any post-op instructions would be appreciated!Thanks again for everything! Sheila
Carolyn A.
on 9/18/04 8:31 am - Monroe, GA
Sheila Being a nurse, I guess I had an edge with knowing what to do after I got home from my RNY surgery. Don't lift anything over 10 lbs for the first two weeks, then nothing over 20 lbs until you are 6 weeks post op. Do not drive for the first 2 weeks post op (to much strain on your sutures). By then you should be on just Tylenol liquid or nothing at all for pain. If you are taking lortab liquid for pain, I suggest mixing it with water to cut down on the horrible taste. You should keep using the suck up meter for about another wee****il you start moving really good just to help get rid of the secretions. What meds are you on and I will help you with information about them. Adhere to your prescribed food plan (I hate the words diet plan). As for the 12 lbs you gained in the hospital, it is probably jus****er weight from the IV fluids and not moving around very much. That will go away in just a few days since you are home. You will be surprised with your weight loss when you go back for your first post op visit. Also very important, if you have a problem or think you are having a problem and something just does not feel right call your surgeon immediately. It does not matter what time day or night. After all you have paid for this service, so don't let anyone not give you the care you need and deserve. If you want to, e-mail me off the board. Welcome home and welcome to the losing side of life. There are a lot of great beginnings ahead for you. Carolyn
PEGGY B.
on 9/18/04 12:25 pm - SYLVA, NC
yes do use your spirometer it will help you get your deep breaths,a dn help prevent phuemonia, which can set up as for we get lazy while we re taking drugs and all the stuff our body goes through ,i dont know if i gained while in the hospital but i know it is just fluids alot people do i believe i am 5 weeks out try to walk as much as possible and the big thing is dont be to hard on yourself right now, go buty something 2 sizes to little for you right now and hang in your bedroom youll probably be in it within 2-3 weeks at the most. and try to get lots of fluid and sleep sleep sleep , even sllep for me lol good luck and take care peggy -38lbs 5 weeks revision
Freeda I.
on 9/18/04 6:38 pm - greenville, SC
Hi Sheila, 1)Yes... I was to use my spirometer every 30 minutes for at least a week. This is to prevent pnuemonia. 2) I TOO gained weight when I was in the hospital. I gained 10 pounds. I was JUST as frustrated as you, but down 70 pounds now, and NO COMPLAINTS any more!LOL! 3) Were you told to get up and walk as MUCH as you can?? This is to prevent blood clots from forming, and reducing the risk of pulmonary embolism. PLEASE PLEASE get up and walk as often as you can. This is VERY important!! 4) Stay true to your food plan. Did you you have access to a nutritionist through your surgeon? If not, I will be happy to send you the instructions I was given. 5) Try NOT to live on the scales!LOL!! THAT is easier said than done! 6) Give yourself & your body some time...I KNOW you've heard this one before, but it is REALLY true..."You didn't put this stuff ON in a day...It doesn't come OFF in a day." *Now, I will add to the phrase*..."BUT...if you do what you are supposed to, it will start to come off in just a FEW days! Have patience with yourself Sheila!! You have all of us rooting for you and here to answer questions, and pray for you... If you do what you should...IT WILL HAPPEN!!
modeanryan
on 9/18/04 6:42 pm - Duluth, GA
ARGH!! That last post was from ME! Not "Freeda Innerme"....That is a glitch I am dealing with. Take care Sheila and don't hesitate to ask us...We are here for you! -Tami
Most Active