MY PCP IS ALL FOR IT!!! What a shock!

Lorri R.
on 9/16/04 10:05 am - Tallapoosa, GA
I was all ready with print-outs from this site and others, ready to browbeat her into submission, so imagine my surprise when I said that I was seriously looking into WLS and she said "I think that's a very viable option for you." for understanding doctors!!! She told me her mother had it done, 2 sisters, and they have several patients there who have had it done. She mentioned the complications and the fact it is major surgery, and I told her I had read all that and actually had been scared off it a couple of times in the past few years. But now with my comorbs (diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol), at 335 lbs and with a BMI of 52.5, THAT scares me more than a 0.2% chance of complications or death! Not having the WLS and continuing on the way I'm going will definitely kill me within a very few years. She said anything I needed written, LOMN's, arguing with insurance, whatever I needed she'd do. She also mentioned there is another surgeon in Rome who has done a lot of RNY's, but I forgot to get his name. I'll call tomorrow, unless someone here knows who he is? He works out of the Harbin Clinic. So next Thursday I meet with Dr. Freeman, and I'll set up a consult with this Rome doctor too just for 2 opinions, then we'll get the ball rolling. Now I'm wondering whether to stick with my original plan of waiting until the next quarter break, which will be December 15, or to schedule a week off from school... only snag I think would be if the lap turned into open, then I wouldn't be able to drive for a few weeks.... Be patient! Just wait until next Thursday.... I have started retraining myself to eat more slowly AND to chew every mouthful 30 to 40 times. Lorri
freespirit
on 9/16/04 11:28 am - Hawkinsville, GA
Way to go Lorri! You'll be a "loser" before you know it! Congrats on having such an understanding PCP! That will make this journey a whole lot easier! Robin
bjgorham
on 9/16/04 9:51 pm - Euharlee, GA
Lorri, the doctor's name at the Harbin Clinic is Dr. Rayland Scott and his telephone number is 1-800-803-2065 / (706) 378-8140. When you call ask for Ginger, she is the Bariatric Coordinator. Dr. Scott's program requires that you attend his WLS seminar which is 2 hours long and Dr. Scott is the presenter. The seminar is great and packed full of information. I attended the seminar on August 14th in Rome and Dr. Scott is working on scheduling surgeries in November and December for those who attended the seminar in August. After you attend the seminar, it will take about two weeks for Ginger to schedule appointments for evaluations. Wish you well Tammie
Most Active