Is there anything I need to be doing?

freespirit
on 9/13/04 11:04 am - Hawkinsville, GA
Hey y'all, I'm 1 month from my surgery date. Is there anything I need to be doing to prepare? I feel like I'm in a 'nesting' mode and want to have my act together. I have been drinking Isopure nectar for my breakfast daily as I'm still trying to lose some weight before surgery. I know I can drink that post op too. I still have a question about the Medic ID bracelet. Do most Post-Ops wear one of these and if so, what information do I need to make sure I have listed on it? I'm also worried about what I need to take to the hospital...will I even get to put on my own gown or will I be in the hospital gown the whole time? You guys have probably posted this a million times but I never paid attention to it. Please give me some input. Thanks! Robin
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/04 11:55 am - Warner Robins, GA
Hey Robin, As far as the ID bracelet, if you choose to wear one it should say, "Gastric Bypass Patient- No blind NG tube" You will not need your own gown, you are not really there long enough to require it. Plus they are too much of a hassle with the IVs and incase you have a drain. The gowns at AMC were plenty big and very comfy. They will also give you a robe to wear and a couple pair of footies with traction on them. They also supply all toiletries. However, I did bring and us my own face lotion, face soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush, headband, chapstick, pillow, backscratcher and can't forget clean undies I also wore the same clothes home that I wore when I checked into the hospital as I only had them on for an hour max. You may want to look into staying at the Manley House the night before since you have to be at the hospital so early. It's $5.00 a night and a right across from the hospital. You may want to buy your crystal lite or Propel(incase you have trouble with water initially) broth, jello, pudding, popsicles, and fudgecicles ahead of time....and don't forget to get enough for your liquid diet prior to surgery. I had lots of nervous energy and took the opportunity to do a thorough cleaning throughout the house. It was nice to come home to recooperate in a nice clean house Also if your DH isn't much of a cook you may feel kind enough tot make a few meals and freeze them. Oh and don't forget the phospha-soda....YUCK-O!! Hugs, Tonya
sxynecie
on 9/13/04 3:17 pm - Jonesboro, GA
I agree with everything Tonya posted. Mrs~Jackson
nonamedamet
on 9/14/04 12:11 am - GA
The only thing I can add is if someone is going to stay with you have them bring a blanket, my room's (was in 2 different hospital rooms) were freezing. I was fine but my mom froze. Let me know if I can do anything for you and yours. Hugs and prayers, Theresa
Denise M.
on 9/14/04 5:55 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Robin, I ordered my bracelet from (www) laurenshope.com. They have some great styles and it is not obvious as to what it is. As far as inscriptions, mine has a bit more. I have the following: Name RNY Gastric Bypass (procedure type) No Blind Ng Tube (can burst the pouch) No NSAIDS (anti Inflammatory Drugs- can erode pouch) I was told the NSAIDS is important if you should be transported to emergency. Good Luck! Denise
Phyllis C.
on 9/14/04 11:28 pm - Fort Benning, GA
Hi Denise, My name is Phyllis I am seven weeks post op. I was reading what you said about the Bracelet and never even thought of one and was never told to get one eather. Which i think would be a good idea. I have a few questions hope you don't mine. What does Blind Ng. mean? Also what does NSAIDS mean? I also hope you are doing fine. I hope to hear back from you. My email ia [email protected] Thank you God Bless, Hugs, Phyllis
Most Active