Advise for hubbies?

maureenk
on 9/13/04 1:39 am - Jefferson, GA
My husband is one of the most supportive people in the world. He says he will be there for me, no matter what I chose. Even will take time off of work to help me post op if I need it. But.. he really feels that I have not tried hard enough to lose weight on my own. He says I start on a diet, do great for three months, and then abandon it and put the weight back on. He thinks I can do anything I put my mind too, and if I so strongly want to lose weight, that I can do it. His suggestion is to try the post op diet for a few months and start excercising regularly before I def decide on surgery. I KNOW I could not do this without the tool. He is afraid that after a couple of months I will grow tired of eating like a bird, and that there is no going back, and that I will be miserable. I want surgery ASAP.. not sure if my insurance will pay next year. Any advice for me and hubby?
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/04 3:16 am - Warner Robins, GA
My advice to is take your DH along to a support group meeting or to a appointment with your Surgeon. He would probably gain a better understanding as to why this way works when diets fail. Also you may want to explain to him that when you are pre-op and try the post-op diet and put 3-4oz into a stomache the size of a small football it is impossible to feel satisfied that way. Where as post-op when you put 3-4oz into a 4 oz pouch, you reach the feeling of satiety quicker and stay that way longer. Also with the resized stoma, the food stays in your pouch longer so that you will feel satisfied for a longer period of time. I hope that this helps. Tonya
maureenk
on 9/13/04 3:38 am - Jefferson, GA
Thank you so much ! That is so simple ! Thank you ! I will tell him my trying to put 3-4 oz food into my football sized stomach I am set up for failure. I will never feel satisfied with that amount of food, and therefore will not succeed He actually did go to a support group meeting with me yesterday... I think that is where he decided I could do this on my own...silly man.. I have been married for 5 years. (Second for both). He has not seen the struggle I have been on for the past 25 plus years, and the number of attempts I have made Thanks again for making that easy for me. Now I hope that thick head understands it
nonamedamet
on 9/13/04 3:43 am - GA
I agree with Tonya, but wanted to let you know that I have you and DH in my thoughts and prayers. I can share my DH was basically the same as yours and it wasn't until I went through all the hoops (medical tests etc) to get approved and my surgery date was set that he finally accepted that I was really serious and going to do this for me which in turn would make me a healthier, happier wife and mother. He really turned around and although he was vocal with his support before, his actions finally showed me his support. Hugs and prayers, Theresa
maureenk
on 9/13/04 4:03 am - Jefferson, GA
Thanks so much Theresa I appreciate your kind words and prayers Glad to hear that there are other thick heads out there..but we got to love them
sxynecie
on 9/13/04 3:10 pm - Jonesboro, GA
Maureen, My hubby thoughts were the same as yours. I took him to every support meeting, every doctor appointment (including the ones that were not WLS related) after he seen everything I was going through, his thoughts changed. Now he is so happy that I had this surgery, I'm a whole new person. Mrs~Jackson
maureenk
on 9/13/04 10:24 pm - Jefferson, GA
Thanks for the feedback Let's hope that my DH comes around
Denise M.
on 9/14/04 6:05 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Maureen, My DH was not wanting me to do this either. First the fear of it, and second he felt I could do it on my own. If I could then I wouldn't be on this board. I was hellbent and determined to do it and nothign could deter me. I continued to do my tests, and let him know. Everytime he sasked me if I was going thru with it I would say yep... Finally once approved I started taking him to the meetings with me. It made a big difference. He has now become my best cheerleader and supporter since I have had the surgery. This is your life, and your body. You have one shot at life, so its up to you to decide how you want to pursue it. I am sure he will come around. Good Luck to You! Denise
Most Active