Considering a change of Doctors

Lil L.
on 9/2/04 5:36 am - Decatur, GA
Hi - I began my journey with Dr. Ramshaw at Emory and I certainly have no quams with him - its Emory that seems to be the problem. I received approval from BCBS HMO this week and now the Bariatric Coordinator tells be it will be 2 weeks before she can put me on a schedule for additional test and only after the results are received will she schedule me to meet with the Doctor and then at that meeting I will get a surgery date. Right now it seems it will be the end of the year before I can have surgery. I've checked and Dr. Duncan and Dr. Hart accept BCBS HMO. Has anyone used either of these doctors and has anyone changed doctors mid-stream?
Debbie C.
on 9/2/04 5:58 am - Carrollton, GA
Hi Lil, I'm sorry your facing more waiting but wouldn't switching also take time too? I'm using Dr. Duncan and I am still waiting for approval so I understand waiting is tough. If you like Dr. Ramshaw I'd say stick with him. It may not be as long as you think. The extra time could be good to get somethings done like start your Christmas shopping and get the gifts wrapped. If your surgery is around that time you wouldn't feel like doing it then. This is a suggestion I hope that will help you. Hang in there and relax if you can. Debbie
Michelle J.
on 9/2/04 11:50 am - Savannah, GA
I used Dr.Duncan I had surgery 3-29-04. From the time I got approved until surgery was three weeks. But I have never changed Doctors, mid stream. If you like your Dr. ask them can you give me some kind of figure about when surgery will be if everything checks out fine. I have had no complication and I think Dr. Duncan is wonderful. You also need to ask the Dr. office you may switch too, How long you have to wait for a surgery date. I know some offices will put the patients they have been seeing first.
afbrown
on 9/2/04 2:54 pm - Duluth, GA
I used Dr. Hart and he is great. I did have to change doctors, but not quite as "mid-stream" as you are thinking - I got almost thru the paperwork with Dr. Proctor in Gainesville and then found he no longer took my insurance. I know he had previously because someone I worked with went to him. So, I switched to Dr. Hart as I had known someone else who had used him. Hang in there! It will work out in it's own time. Ann in Duluth
Anna Marie D.
on 9/3/04 12:34 am - Suwanee, GA
Hi Lil, Many people have switched out of the Emory program mid stream or later. They have had several personnel changes in the past few months and patients have been left in limbo waiting on testing and paperwork to be sent in for approval. One of the girls in one of my support groups was in Emory and waited on them 6 months and switched to Dr Hart, had surgery within a month, and then Emory called her back to schedule some further testing. Dr Hart was also my surgeon. Good luck in your decision. Marie
jennifer S.
on 9/3/04 3:29 pm - conyers, GA
You have to keep calling sonya, she does not answer her phone. I am a nurse here at Crawford long and I had to call from work so she wouldn't know the name. Don't give up!!!!!!!!!! I was called out of the blue and told someone had cancelled and could I be at Emory the next Mon. For my test. My EGD is the 8th and I don't know when I will be scheduled to meet with Dr. Lin to get my surgery date. I am trying very hard not to be impatient. But call and call until they give you test dates so they don't have to take your calls any more.
Most Active