I am so confused (long)

tks912
on 8/30/04 8:35 am - DUNWOODY, GA
On 08/16/04 I went to the ER with abdominal pain (possible gallbladder) they did an ultrasound and nothing showed, but was told to go to my PCP and get a HIDA scan done.Then on 08/17/04 I get the call that I am approved for my RNY. Went to see my PCP on the 18th and he did refer me to get the HIDA scan. When I talked to Karen at Dr Macik's office she said to let them know about my gallbladder so that can get a pre-cert for that too. I had my HIDA scan done on 08/23 and my PCP called me on 08/26 and sounded as if I should be dying (no pain since the morning of 08/17) and said my gallbladder is not functioning and we need to get it removed. I asked if the 23rd would be soon enough and he said he would need to speak with my surgeon. Well he called me back earlier this evening and is refering me to a different surgeon. He said his assistant would call me tomorrow.What does this all mean. Tina N
modeanryan
on 8/30/04 10:27 am - Duluth, GA
I'm just as confused as you! Is it possible he forgot you were having surgery soon? Dunno!
tks912
on 8/30/04 11:58 am - DUNWOODY, GA
I do plan on calling my surgeon's office tomorrow as well as seeing if I can get a copy of the results of the HIDA scan myself. I just don't see what it will hurt to wait till the 23rd. I do not want to have 2 surgeries (and have to put off my RNY). Tina N
Anna Marie D.
on 8/30/04 10:04 pm - Suwanee, GA
Hey Tina, I am not sure of your situtation but when I was having trouble with my gallbladder (15 yrs ago!) I was very lucky that it had not burst. A single stone had blocked the common duct and from everything that had backed up into my gallbladder it turned gangrenuous. If it had burst, the poision would have been too much for my body to handle and there would have been nothing the dr could have done. I was having symptoms from Dec to March but since I had absoluteley no pain in my stomach (all in my back) I thought I had done something to my back. When I started throwing up every time I got near or smelled food I knew something else was going on. I saw a gastro dr on Mon and was scheduled for upper/lower gi series the next day. That night I ended up in the er and had emergency surgery the following afternoon. So with a "hot" gallbladder you may need that surgery taken care of first. Nowadays though with lap surgery sometimes you don't even have to stay overnight in the hospital! I would definately check with my wls as they usually can remove gallbladders during wls. Maybe you can even have your wls early! Good luck! Marie
Most Active