Firing my surgeon! (LONG!)

Cricket B.
on 8/30/04 2:16 pm - GA
I don't know it this is any help but when I went for my 2 week check up which was really 4 weeks because I was sick but at any rate we are put in a group so that we can hear each others issues and 3 people there had the same problem. They address as something new and they would have to look into it. They also said they put us in a group because everybody is different and when we talk with each other we find out who has the same things. Like me I can't stand certain smells or even think about certain things with out getting sick and women and all that perfume MAKES ME SICK and there were people there who feel the same way too. So I don't know if that was any help but thet didn't have the answer for them either.
Anna Marie D.
on 8/30/04 10:32 pm - Suwanee, GA
Kelle, I think you will have a hard time finding another surgeon. I lalways thought it was due to the liability issue also. At my last surgeons support group meeting I was asking him about a girl that was moving into the area from another state. He said he might take her on since one of his patients recommended her to him. He said the reason he usually does not take on new wls patients (one that another dr has performed surgery on) is he barely has time for his own patients. Once you are his patient you are his for life and he feels you should get "preferential" rights. I also agree with your assessment of your surgeon's office practices. I am glad I never got past the receptionist when I was doing my initial research. I have been to 3 appts there with someone else (I met you there 1 day ) and what should have been a 30 minute appt turned into all day affairs. And after waiting in the outer office she was only seen for a mere 10 minutes and he will barely answer any questions. He's trying to go out the door as soon as he comes in. I have always wondered why his patients do not complain about this issue. Many of them drive hours to see him. I know he does a lot of military and medicare/medicaid so they may not have much of a choice in surgeons. Having said that, his reputation is excellant for surgery. Good luck! Marie
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/04 10:52 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Kelle, I just wanted to give you a big hug and some ! Keep your head up gal! Tonya
Kelle W
on 8/31/04 12:20 am - Atlanta, GA
I just wanted to thank all of you for your input and support. I know a lot of times on this board I seem like a hothead who does things in a rash manner and who can be childish sometimes. And while I will freely admit I have a quick temper and an even quicker mouth, I would not make a choice that puts my health or life in jeopardy. I know that Dr. Appel is an excellent surgeon and I feel very blessed that he is the one who operated on me. That being said, I'm no longer willing to put up with people or situations that make me feel like less of a person. As my therapist keeps telling me, I have to learn to treat myself like someone who loves herself would. And let me say, that someone who loves themselves would not put up with the disrespect, rudeness and outright belittlement (at times) that Dr. Appel has dished out to me. Perhaps other patients have a better time with him, perhaps he doesn't deal well with people who don't roll over for him (not to say that his other patients do, I don't know), but he and I have clashed from day one and I'm not willing to subject myself to him or his office staff any longer. I will continue to see my PCP and let him care for me, since he and I get along famously. Thanks for your patience! Kelle
hollyhobby
on 8/31/04 8:12 am - Jonesboro, GA
Girl, I am there for you. I felt the same way last week, but I am feeling better. I hope you are able to rectify this as soon as possible. Talk to you soon, I will call sometime next week.
Most Active