Firing my surgeon! (LONG!)

Kelle W
on 8/30/04 1:30 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm done with Dr. Appel....I've had all I can take, and I can't takes no more! As some of you know, I've been having problems with my outer right thigh going numb on me, so I called the doctor's assistant for info. She called back stating she has no clue what's going on and for me to come see the doctor. Well, I reluctantly agreed because I wanted to make sure I didn't have a blood clot or something equally bad. Well, I set my appointment for 9am, earliest one available...in the inane hope that I'll be out of there by 10am and won't miss much work. Ha ha ha...I was so naive. Dr. Appel didn't even roll up into the office until 10am. And folks, let me tell you, this is not the first time this has happened to me. Now I've never made a secret of the fact that I feel his personality and bedside manner leave something to be desired....but when you start acting like you don't have repsonsibilities, or anyone who's waiting to see you...that's just blatant disrespect for your patients. So he finally comes in the room and says basically, I have no idea what's going on...here are the names and numbers of two neurologists you can make an appointment with. Didn't even look at my leg to see if maybe there was a bloodclot. Just said oh, well, bloodclots are usually in the calf or back of the knee, doesn't sound like one to me! Then when I asked him about my chronic diarhea he says, are you eating anything with fat in it? I said yes, cheese, meat, almost every source of protein I use. He says, that's the problem, stop eating fat. I sat there (blink, blink) and finally asked him what I could eat for protein that didn't have fat. His reply....fish and cottage cheese. Oh joy! My menu is set now! He then proceeded to tell me I might have irritable bowel syndrome and he didn't want to treat me for that right now. I guess maybe he was thinking (as in the old song), "You just haven't earned it yet baby, you must suffer and cry for a longer time." So this was a wasted trip...and when I complained to the office manager she said, I know it sucks...he's supposed to be here at 9am...I don't know what to tell you! So my question is this....can I hire a new surgeon or am I on my own? Kelle
DeeDee_Cole
on 8/30/04 1:44 am
Honestly - I don't know what to tell you. I'll be happy to give you the name of my surgen since I know you had open as well and you can talk to his office and let us know what they say. E-mail me and I'll be happy to give you his number. (((Love ya))))
PVail
on 8/30/04 2:27 am - Warner Robins, GA
I am truly sorry for the distress this doctor is causing you...he sounds like a real weiner!!! I wouldn't fire him just yet. I would suggest that you go to your family physician or internist and have them check out the problem. If they determine it is due to your surgery, have them refer you back to them with the proof. I think if you get another surgeon, it takes the liability of anything going wrong off of the original surgeon but if you go to your regular doctor and it is due to the surgery, you have proof!! He'll have to take care of you then or lawsuit! The above is just a suggestion but I would really think about it hard before firing him. I do believe that it will "get him off the hook" so to speak if you do that. Good luck and keep me posted. Phyllis P.S. Hope to see you on the 18th!
Kelle W
on 8/30/04 2:30 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm not really worried about my leg so much. I think I've somehow pinched a radial nerve and that it will clear up in time. It's already gotten a little better since it first started happening. The reason why I'm firing him is because I will not tolerate the attitude he has towards his patients. Showing up an hour late to work on a consistent basis while folks are waiting for you is not cool. Especially when you finally see them you have a crappy bedside manner and attitude. Kelle
mikkozoe
on 8/30/04 4:16 am - Conyers, GA
Kelle Well my mom got fed up with Duncan and she just stoped going ...And just goes to her PCP now for anything ...So i would say it sounds liek the things wronge with you are not surgery related and all just take that route and only go see your Doc if you absolety have too that is what i would do if i was you ...Cause i dont think someone will take you on if they did not do the surgery unless you need follow up surgery or osmething ..... Laura
PVail
on 8/30/04 2:45 am - Warner Robins, GA
Again, he's a real weiner!! I wouldn't waste any of my time with him either. Unfortunately, you do need to have follow up to check your blood work and incision healing progress. Maybe your family physician would take over in that area and you can just not go back to the insensitive, unmotivated jerk wad of a doctor. Good luck sweetie! Phyllis
Barb in S. GA
on 8/30/04 4:29 am - Dawson, GA
Kelle, this guy IS a real jerk, but if you fire him, he wins! Get your PCP to check you for a spastic colon or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. There are good medications for both. Have you tried anything over-the-counter like Lomotil, or the generic? I buy mine at Walmart, and it has really helped in the past. Your PCP may prescribe Bentil, which doesn't seem to have any side effect. He may want you to see a gastro guy if medication doesn't help, but I'll tell you, any surgery in the gut can bring on IBS. Don't let the A**hole get you down. Barb
Patima
on 8/30/04 5:51 am - GA
I have pretty much the same problem, with the right outer leg going numb. It has actually progressed and gone down to my foot. After an MRI, the orthopedic surgeon said it is due to 2 bulging disks (L4, L5 and S1) in my back that are pressing on the sciatic nerve. Since I am still carrying a lot of weight, he won't do surgery. I have been to several doctors who were habitually late in seeing patients. If you think Dr. Appel is bad, you should see a military doctor! I did have an 11:30 appointment with Dr. Appel once and didn't get seen until almost 1:30. But he was in surgery and ran late due to unforeseen complications. I think that if I were the patient on the table, I would prefer his being attentive and thorough with my surgery than to be worried about how full his waiting room was getting. I waited almost 2 hours for my GYN who was in surgery, and eventually the office staff said that they were going to have to reschedule everyone in the waiting room! I saw you this morning at Dr. Appel's. My appointment was at 10:45. I got called back right after you left and was out by 11:00. Patti
Denise M.
on 8/30/04 6:36 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Kelle, I am sitting here not quite knowing what to say since we share surgical teams. Can you consider asking to bee seen by Steinburg? Dr Steinburg is one of the nicest most compassionate folks I have met. I knew during the consultation that Dr. Appel's personality and mine would clash like oil and vinegar. Dr Steinburg has an excellent bedside mannor and wonderful demeanor. He will call you anytime, and he seems to really care. He was late to my last appt but by a mere 10 mins, as he was stuck in traffic. I am appalled over what I have just read,and I am just at a loss of words. I will say this..you paid a HELL of alot of money, and by GOD they better service you for the money they got. I would be just a sarcastic and irritable with Dr. Appel as he is with other folks. Tell him, this crap is not acceptable and fix it. Just my 2 cents and some change... Denise
DebbieJ
on 8/30/04 10:08 am - Atlanta area, GA
Kelle, I'm sorry to hear of the treatment you have been given. I agree with you, some doc's have no clue what it means to treat their patients well. It's like they have forgotten they are dealing with other human beings, we have become but a number to them. As for can you hire a new surgeon, you may find it is very difficult to get another surgeon to "take you on" as their patient. Not impossible, but could be difficult. Good luck to you Debbie J Duncan patient 01-14-02 lap-rny 01-15-02 leak repair surgery (non smoker, non steroid taker) 01-29-02 surgery to see if I had another leak, NO thank goodness SEVERE COMPLICATIONS!!! 45 days in ICU, 33 days kept alive via a ventilator 30 days in a rehab hospital, had to learn to walk again Now, one happy girl..........LUCKY to be alive!!!
Most Active