Nutritional Consultation

Barb in S. GA
on 8/28/04 9:29 am - Dawson, GA
Well, folks I had my consultation yesterday and was sort of let down. I don't know what I expected, but I think it was different than what I got. The lady took me in a tiny little office and she asked me about my goals after surgery and what my eating habits were and what I'd eaten the day before (52 grams of protein).When I told her my goal weight was 145 she said no, it should be 170 because I have a big frame. How she could tell with me sitting down, I just don't know, as I weighed 148 when I married, and 140 after the birth of my first child, and I wasn't skinny either time. She gave me some memeographed pages which were to be my post op diet plan from surgery on. She went over it with me from her highlighted copy (wish I'd had a highlighter), talked to me a little about dumping, told me I'd have to crush any medication I was on,and then gave me a booklet on food exchanges that was prepared for diabetics. She warned me that both sugar and fried foods would make me deathly ill. I was only there about 15 to 20 minutes and it was over. Oh, and I had to give her a check for $75 dollars on the spot - something no one had mentioned during the several calls back and forth. She said my insurance might pay, but with no paperwork I don't see how I can file, and don't even know how to file with Medicare. Was this typical, and am I wrong to feel let down? Just wondering. Barb
Carolyn A.
on 8/28/04 12:54 pm - Monroe, GA
Barb It sounds to me like you got ripped of with that nutritional consult. Was this consult at a hospital or an independent office. If it was at a hospital, they should file Medicare for you. Did you get a receipt for the consultation? My initial nutritional consult took about an hour and a half. The nurtritionist ask about all of my eating habits. We discussed what should be eliminated from my diet and what foods I should avoid for the first few months. She gave me highlighted copies of the plans for my nutrition and the length of time I would be on each plan. She also discussed protein supplements at length. The importance of the protein and other vitamins and supplements that I might need to take. She stressed the importance of drinking my fluids. We also discussed Dumping and how to avoid it without feeling deprived. I would make a complaint with her employer or with my physician about her. Also I am almost 4 months out and do not crush any medications. My Dr. says as long as the pill is no bigger than an aspirin, I can swallow it whole. Carolyn
Barb in S. GA
on 8/28/04 2:07 pm - Dawson, GA
Thanks for your comments. I think I'm going to print out these replies and take them along with me on my next trip to Atlanta. I don't mind paying, but I WOULD like to get my money's worth, and I was somewhat confused when I left. Somehow, I believe I'll get more guidance on this board than I got from her. She casually mentioned that I would have to take vitamin B12 shots, too, and I thought that was only if you were deficient in that area. I DON'T LIKE SHOTS!! Barb
Most Active