New and need advice

Marilee H.
on 8/26/04 12:36 pm - Greer, SC
I just had to laugh. I've been on this obesity site for weeks, and just realized I could do this by states ! Never said I was smart..just cute !! I am having RNY lap in Atlanta on Tuesday 9/7 by Dr Champion. I live in Greenville sc, but I am a self pay and he is less expensive than the doc here,and I have heard just wonderful things about him. My daughter lives in Marietta, so I will recup at her house. I would love any advice any of you can give. Best protein drink, how long were you out of work, did you have a drain......anything that will help me prepare. I'm 58 and I just can't wait to have this done. I'm tired of living the way this weight has made me live. I'll look for your replys...and try to find myself back to this board.!!!! Thanks in advance. Marilee
Denise M.
on 8/26/04 9:57 pm - Stone Mountain, GA
Hi Marilee, I am a new post op (15 days out) and this is the best advice I can give. 1. Every person's experience is unique- there are no two things alike 2. If you differ from anything that anyone else has experienced it is ok 3. Wait before investing in Protein, it may be something you can not tolerate 4. Take recovery like the AA module- One day/step at a time... I had a laprocopic procedure. With this the recovery is 2-3 weeks. I have a job that allows me to work from home. I began working the day after I came home. However, this was just laptop and conference calls so nothing strenuous. I have found unjury has a good product I could tolerate. They also have samples..which btw, samples is the way to go....see unjury.com Everyone has a drain. The question is, do you keep it when you are discharged or, is it removed before you are discharged. Hope that helps some...Good luck to you! much Denise
Curious G.
on 8/27/04 11:07 am - Peachtree City, GA
Just to clarify - I didn't have a drain or a catheter...not sure what determines whether or not you get one... Hope you're feeling better Denise! Michelle
PVail
on 8/27/04 3:56 am - Warner Robins, GA
I agree with not going out and buying a bunch of protein drinks. There are many places on the web that you can get free samples. I didn't like a lot of the protein drinks either. I had surgery 11/17/03 and was back to work within 2 weeks. I didn't go back full time...just 32 hours. I was very sick/nauseated for 4 weeks but I worked through it most of the time. The time you're out of work will depend on the rate of your personal recovery. I've heard through people in my support group that Dr. Champion is a very good surgeon...a little lacking on the bedside manner. I believe if it were me, I could tolerate a little bad bedside manner and have a great surgeon. You'll do great with him...he's been doing the Roux En Y for a long time now. He was my first choice when I decided to have the surgery but my insurance would not cover him as in network. I believe we can all relate to being tired of living with all the extra weight. I went to Curves last night and the ladies asked me if I felt better. I said, "Boy you better believe it. I'm not carrying around an extra 100 pounds!" It really sounded weird to say that but, wow, it's true. You'll be able to say that before long. Do what your doctor says and you'll do fine...try not to get tripped up on how long it will take you to recover...just know that you will recover with a whole lot less of you! LOL. Phyllis
Angel Sellers
on 8/27/04 11:43 am - Smyrna, Ga
Hi Marilee I had LAP RNY by Dr. Champion on 2/3/04 - he is awesome I have to agree with the other posts, do not stock up on protein drinks yet, most of the time your taste may be different and your new little pouch will handle things very differently than your normal stomach. Everyone is so different in how they respond to the surgery, but it is nice to have this site to chat & compare experiences After talking with some of the people in Dr. Champion's pre-op support group I only got a few things to have @ home when I got out of the hospital then sent someone out for what I tolerated best. As far as the drain, Dr. Champion told me that was dependant on your BMI (as far as he is concerned). I had one, but it was removed before I left the hospital (I was nervous about that but it was just a "strange" feeling - not too bad). As far as work I was out for 2 weeks then I went back part time for 2 weeks. My boss & I had already worked out a plan so that was no problem for me. I felt fine as far as pain, but I was very tired & drained, so I think it helped to ease my way back in. The only other advice I can offer is get up & moving as soon as you can. It is the best way to move that CO2 out of your system. The nurses will start with you early on & if you can do it, it will help. Of course you have to listen to your body & don't be affraid if you can't, again everyone is different. Well, good luck sweetie. I am very excited for you. You are in wonderful hands with Dr. Champion Feel free to email me if you feel there is anything I can help you with. God Bless Angel 113 lb since surgery / 163 lb total (since preparing for surgery)
Most Active