I need some feedback please...

Angela A.
on 8/25/04 1:39 pm - Palmetto, GA
Hi, my name is Angela and I am 2 weeks post op. I haven't posted before I just read occasionnaly, but I find myself in need of some feedback. My surgery was on August 10th and done by Dr. Duncan and Dr. Johnson. When they picked up my liver it tore so I was in the operating room a little longer than necessary. Afterwards, I was kept in recovery for 5 hours. They said they couldn't get me to wake up and that I would stop breathing. Fortunately, I did wake up and still continue to breath ; ). Here is my concern: I hear everyone talk about being up on their feet in a matter of days. I'm actually 13 days out and still have a lot of soreness on my left side and around my navel. (oh...I also came home with a drain). I have NO energy whatsoever. Fortunately I do not have an appetite, but when I do eat I do not feel full. I can eat an entire scrambled egg...no problem. I was under the impression this wasn't doable for weeks yet. I have had 4 c'sections and consider myself havning a high tolerance for pain. I never even filled the pain meds from my c'sections until the last one. I was under the impression that having this surgery done Lap. would reduce the amount of soreness. I guess my question is.....is it normal to still be sore and uncomfortable (especially when laying down), and is it normal to be able to eat a full egg? The Dr. seems to think that since I had a torn liver and a JP Drain, and then a bladder infection that it is just taking me longer to heal. I sure hope she's right. Thanks for listening, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, AJ Down 15 lbs.
PEGGY B.
on 8/25/04 2:14 pm - SYLVA, NC
YES I AM 2 WEEKS OUT AND EAT A EGG AND ALSO SOMETIMES I EAT A 1/2 OF A EGG SANDWICH FOR A MEAL AND IT IS PLEANTY FOR ME I THINK EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND IF YOU CAN EAT A EGG THEN GO FOR IT AND DONT FEEL BAD I POSTED ON THE MAIN BOARD TONIGHT AND THEY BASHED ME ABOUT EATING SOLIDS WELL EVERYONE IS NOT THE SAME SOME CAN SOME CANT JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN DOSENT MAKE YOU A LOSER HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON PEGGY
bridgett E.
on 8/25/04 8:42 pm - covington, ga
Hi! I am just a little over 1 week post op. I am also Dr. Duncan's patient. The only pain that I have had was within the first 3 to 4 days. The pain was when I would lie down and it would be right at my belly button, very much discomfort. So I did take a dose of the liquid hydrocodone at night right before I went to sleep. However, I did not have a drain and thank goodness no other complications. Everything went so well. There was some soreness like I had done too many sit ups, but other than that no pain. I absolutely have no pain now and my energy level seems above average. There have been times during the day that I felt I absolutely had to lie down and I did and took a nap and felt great afterwards. As far as what you are eating, my aftercare instructions shows liquids at first then progress to full liquids when you are ready. Cottage cheese, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs are on the "full" liquids list. I can eat 1/2 of the egg. I too was nervous about that and worried. I called Dr. Duncan's office and spoke with Kenya. She said the main thing the first two weeks is to keep hydrated. Sip on something all along the day. As far as the egg, cottage cheese or potatoes, she told me make sure to measure my portion size, not going over 2 tablespoons. She also told me I was one of the "lucky" ones. That I have been able to tolerate everything that I have tried and to be thankful!! That eased my mind a bit. Have you been for your 2 wk post op appt? Sounds like you just had a bit extra done, with your liver and drain, and are progressing fairly well and should do fine. Good luck and would love to hear back from you.
(deactivated member)
on 8/26/04 1:20 am - Warner Robins, GA
Aj, I was able to eat 1/2 cup or a full egg and not feel full. I just stopped b/c I knew I shouldn't go over 4oz. It wasn't until about 3 weeks out that all of a sudden the nerve endings healed and then I all of a sudden I felt full or satisfied. I think you are ok in this area. As for the soreness. You had a complication and a drain...I'm sure it's going to take you a little bit longer to recover. That's ok. Just take care of yourself, follow your plan and know that it will get better in time. Hugs, Tonya PS- we are here to support you whenever you need it.
afbrown
on 8/26/04 1:52 am - Duluth, GA
Angela, Sorry to hear you had some complications, but hang in there - it will get better. I'm sure that you are still sore because of your liver, and it sounds "normal." As to the egg - a lot of people say that the nerves that tell us "you are full" take a little while to heal and really "work." Of course, a whole scrambled egg isn't THAT much. If you are tolerating it - go for it!! I use the egg substitute and just do a couple of tablespoons at a time. Hope you are feeling much better and up and around soon. Ann in Duluth
Angela A.
on 8/26/04 3:18 am - Palmetto, GA
I want to thank everyone for their comments. I feel better after reading your posts. I'm just so tired of being TIRED!! Can't wait to get my energy back. Thanks again everyone, AJ
Denise M.
on 8/26/04 3:45 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Hi Angela, I am a patient of Dr's Appel and Steinburg. I too had complications which landed me in the ICU and I am 14 days out. As far as pain, I had/have none... but in regards to being tired- I am extremly tired all the time. Its not sleepy tired, its a physical tired. I am not happy about that at all. I went to my PCP this morning and he actually gave me a B12 shot. Wants me to come in every two weeks for shots until we get the energy level back up. Also, as far as eating- its ALL INDIVIDUAL. NOT ONE PERSON HAS THE SAME EXPERIENCE. For example. I can drink tons of fluids/water actually and not get ill. I can tolerate on shake a day. Other than that, my stomach can not tolerate anything. Nothing... I can not even imgine eating an egg- so again, if you can, then get your protein in the best way you can. Hope that helps some. Take Care and rest up Denise
Angela A.
on 8/26/04 11:57 am - Palmetto, GA
Thanks Denise...I hope you are able to tolerate food soon. AJ
Most Active