Former patient of Dr. Duncan

Lisa D.
on 8/24/04 1:31 pm - Manitou, KY
Hi Holly, I am so truly sorry that you are having such difficulties, but do try to see the positive side. Maybe there is a reason that you are encountering all the delays. The good Lord works in many ways and this may not be right for you at this time. I will keep you in my prayers that all goes as you wish. Maybe you need to be looking into using a different doctor. There are many many other doctors out there that may not make you jump through hoops just to have a chance at having a life again. Keep your chin up and don't give up. Good luck!! Lisa
DebbieJ
on 8/24/04 9:09 pm - Atlanta area, GA
Tonya your missing the point............Duncan WAS my surgeon, it was his responsibility to take care of me when something went wrong, why should ANYONE need to demand his attention. As for my husband not demanding to speak to him, how dare you question my husband, without him and a very dear RN friend, I would not be here today. My husband dealt with the doctor's and nurse's in ICU who were keeping me ALIVE. The last thing on his mind, was to seek out a surgeon who could not take the time, to see HIS patient. My husband's days and nights were spen****ching his wife of over 20 years, fight to stay alive. I'm so glad you were told you were a valuable patient. When the chips were down, and I needed to FEEL llike I was a valuable paitent, the ball was dropped. Once again, I do NOT question Duncan's surgical abilities, I am not in the medical profession. The only reason I share my horror story, is so that other patients can be aware and perhaps, as you did, talk before the surgery to the doctor's, and find out what happens in a crisis.
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/04 2:21 am - Warner Robins, GA
I didn't say I disagreed with you and I am not trying to insult you or argue with you. Nor am I trying to question your husband in an ugly way. Like I said before....I appreciate the fact that you share your story. You e-mailed me your story when I was pre-op and I was so sorry for you and so mortified that I brought it up(did not use your name). Like I said, I believe the Surgeon/Patient relationship is a two way street and I, myself would've demanded an explanation. That's all!! plain and simple. Peace girlfriend. I'm not trying to argue back & forth with you...that's not my style.
Denise M.
on 8/25/04 2:06 am - Stone Mountain, GA
You know, when I first contemplated this surgery- everyone told me Titus Duncan was the best. But as I cam down to making a decision, his commercials on TV (locally in Atlanta) gave me an uneasy feeling. I hate those cheesy commercials. It seem so impersonal and so "MONEY MONEY MONEY" I instead chose Dr's Sidney Appel and Scott Steinburg. I thank god I did. I had complications and they were with me 100% of the way. Never did I fear for my safety- nor did I feel abandoned, or part of a revolving door. This surgery is so damn traumatic to all of us. I so very sorry that the folks who did not get what they deserved had this happen. For those who had a good outturn, thats good. Ultimately, its all about being treated with respect and like a human being that is most important. Denise
DebbieJ
on 8/25/04 4:49 am - Atlanta area, GA
My final thoughts on this subject. On the day I had the last tube removed in Duncan's office (April 18th 2002.) I was using a walker to get around, I was newly discharged from the rehab hospital, I was very, very weak and quite honestly, thankful to be alive. I made my wonderful husband, promise me, he would not confront Duncan about his "no-show status" during my long hospital stay. I just could not bear the thought of a confrontation at that time. It is very easy to say what you would or would not do, but when you are in the middle of a crisis of this magnitude, your entire world revolves around survival. A representative from Duncan's practice spoke with my husband during this ordeal, but this representative was not "MY" surgeon. My husband (who went to all pre-op visits with me) had never met this person. The bottom line is Duncan was my surgeon of record. Once again, I share my story, not to bash Duncan and his practice. I share my story so that pre-ops are aware that this surgery is risky and should not be entered into lightly. And if by telling my story, people get better patient care, than I'm grateful. I do not wish to argue with you or anyone else about my journey. The facts of what happened to me will never change, no matter how many people do not wish to acknowledge that it happened. Debbie
Most Active