FRESH POST-OP

bridgett E.
on 8/22/04 9:18 am - covington, ga
Wanted to seek some advice from my close friends here at the Ga board. I am only 4 days post op. I cannot tolerate my protein drinks I purchased or any broth. I need to get find protein, either shakes or powder... I think I might like it better if I was mixing it with something. I have had cottage cheese, mashed potatoes and tonight I had some soft scrambled egg. All portions have been around 2 tblsp. Is this all normal? I would love to hear from you other post ops as to what you had when you came home and over the first two weeks or so. Please give me input for my protein. I need to be up to 40grams and then eventually up to 80gms. THANKS FOR YOU HELP!
nonamedamet
on 8/22/04 10:08 am - GA
Not post-op yet but have heard of mixing things with the unfavored unijury protein helps. May your recovery continue and get easier everyday. God Bless, Theresa
Patima
on 8/22/04 10:29 am - GA
I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I tried all kinds of protein drinks (I had samples galore) and the ONLY thing I have been able to handle is the Isopure Dutch Chocolate protein powder mixed with 8th Continent (original flavor) soy milk. Before my surgery I was not one for chocolate, so that is surprising. The soy milk helps because I am having a problem with milk products. I can't handle the protein drinks mixed with water - yuck! 2 scoops gives 60 grams of protein. I mix 1/2 scoop of powder with 4-5 ounces of soy milk and shake it up. Of course, I have 4 shakes a day. I even mix my Calcium (I use UpcalD - totally tasteless) with 2 of the shakes and get my calcium in. I have tried lots of different shakes, even some that other folks have raved about, but this is the ONLY thing that works for me. I hope you find something that works for you. Patti
Barb in S. GA
on 8/22/04 1:23 pm - Dawson, GA
Patti, I'm not familiar with the calcium you mention. Where do you get it, and can you mix it with anything? Also, where do you get chewable vitamins? Maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I'm eager to learn all I can. Thanks, Barb in S. GA
modeanryan
on 8/22/04 1:09 pm - Duluth, GA
Hi Bridgett! First, congratulations on your surgery! I hope you have an easy recovery. As far as MY protein goes, I prefer the UNJURY chocolate shake, that I mix with skim milk. I have had no problems with that. I had purchased some of the ISOPURE bottled fruit drinks, only to find I didn't like the taste, and my new stomach REALLY didn't like the feel... So that's when I tried Unjury...it works for me, and I am sticking with it.. There are some websites you may consider looking through.... unjury.com bariatriceating.com bariatricadvantage.com These are some I am aware of.
OHAngel2006
on 8/22/04 10:22 pm - GA
Congratulations on your surgery. I'm almost 2 weeks post op. First of all, take it slowly and work up to that 40 grams of protein. I am just now getting to where I can do that. I use a Whey protein powder and I mix in some fresh fruit with mine to help the taste. Also, you can drink those Danon Light & Fit Yogurt drinks. I found I like the broth off alot of soups... Corn Chowder is one of my favorites. Keep up the great work!
Most Active