Help!

sheshieshoe
on 8/20/04 1:53 am - St Marys, GA
Good morning folks! I am beginning my process into being on the loser's side and I'm at a loss. What do I do first? I have already spoken to my PCP and he gave me the name of a doctor in Brunswick (Henderson) and I've spoken to several people who've had the surgery done by him and the majority of them advise me to go elsewhere. I checked with my primary insurance Aetna POS I and they don't even list a single Bariatric Surgeon, which makes me believe they won't cover it. Everyone say's they have pages & pages of questions and I have a couple. I assume the doctors office will give me food (no pun intended) for thought in regards to the process & procedure. I would love if someone would respond & help me out here. I feel like I'm dying! Thanks, Sherri
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/04 2:36 am - Warner Robins, GA
Sherri, I find word of mouth the best reference. If previous patients have told you to go elsewhere I would heed their advice. In your insurance book te Surgeon's are probably listed as General Surgeons vs. Bariatric. One place to start is here at OH. Go to the Bariatric Surgeon link to the left of the screen and then look at your insurance book to see which ones are listed. Then ask around and schedule consults or attend their seminars. I am a big fan of interviewing more than one Dr. Good luck! Tonya
Pat Bell
on 8/20/04 4:36 am - Southeast, GA
Hi Sherri, I am shocked to hear you have gotten so many negative comments about Dr. Henderson. I attended a support group in Savannah for a while where a lot of people had used Dr. Henderson's group. Everybody I know was happy with him. I don't recall any serious complications or even strictures in the group. The only complaint I heard was about having to take several days to go through classes, test, etc. which they had to pay out of pocket. That group of people now go to a support group Dr. Henderson formed in Savananh for his patients so I haven't talked to any of them in a couple of months. Maybe you could call his office and find out when he has support group meetings in Brunswick and attend a meeting. The patients have no vested interest in lying to you they will tell you the good, bad, and ugly. I used Dr. Champion in Atlanta for my surgery even though I live in Savannah. I was very pleased with him and his staff. If that would be an option for you he has a web site. Type J.K. Champion in your search engine to get to his web site. He was in Savannah last night to speak at the JEA support group for his patients. I ask last night what % of patients continue to follow up after surgery and he said they have a 92% continued follow up on patients at 5 years. If the patients don't call his office calls to set up follow up appointments. The first thing Dr. Champion's office will ask you to do is call your insurance company and find out if you have insurance for wls and ask what the requirements are for approval. Ask Aetna to fax you the requirements so you don't get confused. I had Aetna insurance and they required me to have a recent six month diet, nutritionist, exercise program. Your policy may be different. This can be a long process but it is worth it. It took me 14 months to get approval & surgery date. I have lost 150 pounds (58 pre-op, 92 post-op) and regained my life. I heard another patient say they'd walk barefoot on rocks to get back to Atlanta to have their surgery. I am not that tough but I'd certainly do it again under the same cir****tances.
gayle M.
on 8/21/04 1:33 pm - rex, GA
Hi Sherri, I'm not too sure if I can help, but I'll try. Have you called Aetna and asked to speak to a supervisor and then asked them if they cover the procedure and what requirements you need to meet if they do, and ask them for a list of doctors and hospitals in your area that do the procedure? Usually if you speak directly to a supervisor and direct your questions to them they become very helpful. If you do that, write down the supervisors name and refer to her/him with all your insurance dealings.I had my surgery in Florida, so I don't know any surgeons here in Georgia, and I did have the best..in my opinion.I am three years post op and the only troubles I have had is low iron absorbtion.Keep trying sweetie and don't let the system get to you! Gayle
Most Active