?????'s re: Plastic Surgery

J. Gwevonne H.
on 8/19/04 2:25 am - Marietta, GA
Hello all, I am just wondering how long after WLS should you wait before inquiring about plastic surgery? For example, extra(loose-sagging) skin removal. Also, is it better to have dental problems cleared before having WLS. (caps, fillings, root canal)? Have anyone had problems with Insurance approving such procedures and what makes it a medical necessity? Thanks, J.
Anna Marie D.
on 8/20/04 6:05 am - Suwanee, GA
Plastics will vary from person to person. Recently I have had a consult and I am just 8 months out. But I have lost a total of 273 lbs in the last 2 1/2 years from an illness and wls. Another girl in a support group I go to just had tt and breast reduction/implants and she is 15 months out. Another girl has a hernia and is also looking for a tt. She is 9 months out. As far as dental work, routine cleanings and such can be done before wls but anything major as a cap, filling, crown should be delayed until after. When you are under anesthesia there is a tube down your throat and any recent dental work could be dislodged. This happened to me not during my wls but during a hernia repair/ovarian cyst removal. A filling that I had had for around 15 years came out while I was eating a graham cracker! One of the questions I was asked over and over was this a new filling. So wether old or new it can happen. I was in the dentist office getting a crown just 2 days after surgery! One of the questions during the pre op admissions is do you have any recent crowns, caps, or fillings. I am just in the beginning stages of ps but I have documented rashes through my pcp, had him refer me to a dermatologist, and pictures. They told me to expect it take 4 - 6 weeks to receive a reply and be prepared for a denial and then to appeal. Hope this helps! Marie
Most Active