question for post op women

DeeDee_Cole
on 8/9/04 10:51 pm
Okay - this may be just me in the fact that I'm still having to deal with the loss of my mom last year, (Her year anniversary of her death will be Sept 2) but has anyone else found themselves to be more emotional since surgery? I'm wondering if I need to go to the doctor and see about having my hormone level checked. Is that really THAT affected with the weight loss? By emotional I don't mean just teary eyed....I can have a wide spectrum of emotions from anger to apprehension to sadness all within a few minutes of each other.....then this emotional rollercoaster can (and does) make me nauseaus. Any thoughts - or am I loosing it totally?
mikkozoe
on 8/9/04 11:23 pm - Conyers, GA
I have not had too many issues with this yet ..but my mother did ...I would say YES this is a very emotional thing we are all going thru and i think it effects everyone different ...My mom was a basket case of emotions for about four months .....So i would say you might wnat to see if there is soemthing they can give you to help ton them down and all but i would say it is normal and all ...... Laura
Karel J.
on 8/10/04 12:21 am - GA
Diana, speaking from my own personal experience, I am definitely emotionally stronger since surgery with the rise in self esteem and confidence. I used to deal with depression so much that I was on medication. With the first anniversary of your mom's death coming up, I do believe that is triggering your emotions. I lost my husband 6 years ago and for the first few years for weeks around the "death date" I would totally lose it. There are some I've heard of dealing with some depression following WLS mourning the loss of food, etc. But they soon get over that. If you feel you need doctor's care to get you through this next month, I would encourage you to do so. It's nothing to be ashamed of and you can be put on medication to help keep you as stable as possible. It is going to be a hard time for you so keep yourself surrounded with loving and supportive people. Wishing you peace.
(deactivated member)
on 8/10/04 1:59 am - Warner Robins, GA
Diana, It's also a proven fact that hormone is stored in fat(Estrogen in particular). When we loose weight rapidly, we are melting fat and the hormone is released in larger amounts. The added hormone can make you emotional, angry, etc. Personally, I am not looking forward to that. I haven't had a big problem with it just yet but I am dreading it. I am very sensitive to extra estrogen....BC pills make me nuts-o.LOL Big Hugs, Tonya
lstivers
on 8/10/04 9:57 am - Bogart, GA
Diana, I have had a problem with this since surgery. I can be fine, deep down in the dumps and elated all in the same afternoon. My doc. adjusted my meds because with the weightloss he thought my dose was too high. But even with the adjustment, I can go through a wide range. It is leveling out, but I definitely know what you are talking about. -Paige
sxynecie
on 8/10/04 5:54 pm - Jonesboro, GA
Diana, I have this problem. One minute I'm happy as all out, Then I get sad. I also lost my mom last year, and it's still hard to deal with. But I just keep praying. Then I called my therpist., I won't call him a shrink..he hate the word. Then he wants to put me on meds. Now that I refused. Mrs~Jackson
RDowden
on 8/11/04 7:28 am - Demopolis, AL
Emotional? yes! I broke down a week ago and called my daughter at work, then called my husband at work and I stayed home for the day. It is your hormones and what the surgery causes - I got myself out of it in about 7 hours - went swimming at the local pool - so you are normal - good luck!
Most Active