One Week Post-Op Update

Curious G.
on 8/6/04 2:19 am - Peachtree City, GA
I posted this on the main board but I wanted to share with y'all too cuz you've all been so helpful! I really feel good! I'm surprised after how awful I felt for a few days right after surgery but all in all, I'm feeling pretty damn good! I'm able to walk about a mile now when I go out (1-2 times a day so far). I've gotten over the phase where my pouch cramped and spasm'd all the time. I can drink my decaf iced tea now with no problem and that really helps me get my fluids in. It's nearly impossible when every sip you take causes cramping yanno. I'm adding some thicker liquids into my liquid diet like mashed potatoes, refried beans and blenderized soups. I had the BEST tiny little bowl of vegetable soup (ran thru the blender) yesterday. It was heaven. I'm no longer tired and weak. I no longer have any pain at all as long as I move around carefully. My sutures are looking good and the steri-strips are beginning to peel. I'm cutting the edges as instructed and waiting for them to come off and for the sutures to dissolve. The supplements are going fine - none disagree with me. My only real problem is the protein. I have several different brands and varieties and the jury is in; I hate them ALL. Even the unflavored tastes like baby formula. I mised a tiny bit of the unflavored with my little bit of refried beans for lunch though and it was somewhat ok...tolerable at least. But the premixed, powders, all of the rest are just plain nasty. That's the only thing I am NOT liking at this point. I'm doing really well with the thicker puree/liquids and look forward to soft foods. I don't get really physically hungry like before but I sure have noticed all the commercials on tv for foods and they all "LOOK GOOD".... ;) The best part is I'm down 15 pounds already!!! I'm totally amazed by this. Yes, I knew this surgery was a good idea, but I had no idea... and I'm sure I will keep saying that for months and months. I know it's still early but I'm so glad I did this, and this first week has been nowhere as hard and miserable as I thought it would be. I'm just so grateful for that blessing!!! I'm even more grateful to all the wonderful people here on OH who have encouraged me when I'm down, gave me advice when I'm confused, congratulated me when I was proud and have been such an immense supply of knowledge and friendship. I never in a million years thougth I could get that level of interaction and support from an online support group. I love you all and just wanted to share this mood/success with you! BIG HUGS!
DeeDee_Cole
on 8/6/04 3:31 am
I'm glad you're doing better!!!! Welcome to Looserville....it's a WONDERFUL place! Can't wait to meet you at Joes! Keep up the good work!
nonamedamet
on 8/6/04 4:07 am - GA
Thanks, I am so glad to hear this, I have been worried about you. Hugs and prayers, Theresa
Most Active