I'm Home!!

Patima
on 7/31/04 10:58 am - GA
I can't believe it! I am 4 days Post-OP! I was in surgery for 4 hours, and Dr. found and repaired a Hiatal Hernia. After about 4 hours in recovery (because of some breathing problems) I guess I went to a room. I actually don't remember anything about the day after being wheeled into the operating room. Several times I had to go over the list of current meds with my doctor, his staff and the staff at the hospital including the anesthesia department. All knew that I have severe eye allergies. They were concerned when my eyes swolled shut then when they got them open I couldn't see. Finally hubby remembered about my eye medicine. The Dr called down and within minutes they were putting drops in my eyes. It was a couple of hours before I could see. I had also had a reaction to the ointment they put in your eyes when they put you under for surgery. I can't stress the importance of having someone with you all the time who knows your medical history! I keep it all on an index card and in my wallet (so does hubby). And we know each other's. Anyway, they keep asking me questions....I can't see....and can't really talk because.....they didn't give me my teeth back!!! Another problem! Don't talk to me unless I can talk back! The first day was trying for both me and the staff. They kept doping me up then wanting me to walk! Hello? I detect a small problem. Then I kept frothing and found out they were doing stuff wrong. So hubby took over according to Dr. directions. Then things went real smooth, and I re-couped a lot faster. Dr. was amazed at my progress and how well hubby was doing giving me the shots and cleaning the tubes (G-tube and daval tube) and helping me with liquids and meds. He stayed right there with me from Tuesday until I was discharged on Friday. He has been (and still is) just terrific. Dr said I was doing so good that I could come home a day early. I haven't seen the entire incision yet, but hubby said is is about 14 inches long with a b'zillion staples. He may be exaggerating on the staples, but I can't see to count them! Am doing pretty good with liquids. Sugar Free popcicles are wonderful and I like the Zero Carb Isopure Chocolate (surprised because I don't really care for chocolate). Hubby mixed it with Silk Soy Milk....Yummy! New challenges at every turn, but still am not regretting having it done. I made it....I did it......I'm on the Other Side!
lstivers
on 7/31/04 11:13 am - Bogart, GA
WELCOME TO THE LOSERS CLUB!!! Sounds like you had a time of it, but so happy that things are better. Remember that you need to get plenty of rest and know that we are all here for you!! Hugs, Paige
San D.
on 7/31/04 12:18 pm - PR
Hi Patti, So glad to hear your are home and doing okay. to hubby for doing such a good job taking care of you. They just don't know how much it means to us when they take care of us like that. Keep us posted! San
modeanryan
on 7/31/04 12:24 pm - Duluth, GA
YAY PATTI!!! Welcome home! Glad to hear you are doing well...Welcome to loserville!! -Tami
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/04 12:25 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Pat I am so glad to see you post! I was thinking about you last night. I'm glad you are home and feeling better. Welcome to the other side gal! Hugs, Tonya PS- Popsicles & Pudding are my friend
nonamedamet
on 7/31/04 1:47 pm - GA
Patti, So glad to read your post. Make sure DH continues taking real good care of you and cannot wait to read all about your progress as you continue to post. God Bless you and yours, Theresa
Kelle W
on 8/1/04 12:53 am - Atlanta, GA
So glad to hear you're home and doing well. Hate that you had so many problems in the hospital. Kudos to your hubby for being so with it! Kelle
catherine30040
on 8/1/04 11:46 pm - Atlanta, GA
I'm glad you are doing so well. That is wonderful news! Hey, would you be willing to rent your husband if I ever get to have my surgery? Take care!
Most Active