ANESTHESIA?

natalie S.
on 7/26/04 2:29 pm - HARTWELL, GA
I WAS JUS****CHING THIS SPECIAL ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HEARD OF ANYONE WAKING UP FROM THE ANESTHESIA WHILE STILL ON THE OPERATING TABLE? WILL YOU BE INTUBATED WHEN YOU GO UNDER?
KerriGLPN
on 7/27/04 5:08 am - 'Tifton, GA
Natalie, hey! If they are monitoring you like they are suppose to you should not wake up but yes you will be intubated. Thats a given with a major surgery and when they put you to sleep for a long time. But I have heard of people waking up during it but the couple of cases I know about they werent monitored like they should have been! Hope you are doing well! Take care! Kerri
Andrea K.
on 7/27/04 6:24 pm - Tyler, TX
Natalie, Natalie, Natalie, don'****ch those shows!!!! They do them to get ratings. Waking up during your surgery is very very uncommon. Usually when that happens even though you don't move , your blood pressure will skyrocket and an anesthesiologist worth his salt will up your juice and put you back under. Anytime someone is put to sleep they are intubated. I'm not talking about twilight like for the endoscopies or colonoscopies. If you are really scared talk to your physician and the anesthesiologist. I know one time I was put to sleep and they gave me the paralyzer before the one that puts your brain to sleep and I felt like I was choking. It only lasted 2 seconds but scared the crap out of me. Now I'm a nurse so I have no problem telling the doctors how the cow ate the cabbage. The next time I had surgery I told the anesthesiologist about this and how it scared me. He said do not worry it won't happen with me. So I was relaxed and it went like clockwork. You are your best advocate. Tell the docs what scares you and they will put your mind at ease. I'm sending hugs and prayers your way so catch them. Andrea
Most Active