Newbie here...pls help

Terri T.
on 7/26/04 12:47 am - Lafayette, GA
My 17 yo daughter has BMI of 52.4. I (and she) wants deperately to have WLS so she doesn't have to fight her weight problems the rest of her life. She is such a beautiful girl, but longs to be "normal" and accepted by others. She has tried all diets, joined Curves for a year (lost 15 lbs, but gained back 20), etc. She is covered under GBHC (Medicaid). Has anyone on this board gotten Medicaid to cover the WLS? She has an appt. today with her PCP to see if we can get him to refer her for WLS. Any info would be very much appreciated.
Karel J.
on 7/26/04 1:00 am - GA
Terri, There has been a teen posting on this board in the past few months in the exact same situation as your daughter. I'll search a little bit and look for old posts. She did finally find a doctor to take her and medicaid. I understand it's very difficult for teens to be accepted for WLS. I'll get back to you! Karel
Karel J.
on 7/26/04 1:14 am - GA
SUCCESS! The fellow member's name is Brittany Dixon and she was just approved last week for WLS following months of disappointment. She uses Dr. Clarence Hixon and that's the path I would recommend to you because Brittany has already searched through many, many doctors looking for someone to help her. Find Brittany's name on the roster and feel free to e-mail her. I bet she and your daughter could become good friends as well as support for each other. You're welcome and good luck! Karel
Terri T.
on 7/26/04 1:26 am - Lafayette, GA
Karel...Thank you so much...I found this website last week and have spent hours reading...such a great help!
lisasolis
on 7/26/04 10:41 am - Rincon, GA
I am sure Medicaid would cover her if you present a good case, and I think there are a few doctors in Atlanta who take this. (Maybe Dr. Duncan is one of them) My 21 year old son also had a bmi of 52 and we had surgery on 5/13 (the same day) with Dr. Williams. He had been battling a weight problem for years and I did not want him to spend the next 30 years as I have had so while I pursued the surgery for myself, I also looked at it for him. He is 10 weeks post op and down close to 70 lbs. (I am down 58 lbs.) I can see his life changing in front of me and I am very happy about this. He went into our pool for the first time in 6 years - he would never take off his shirt in the past. If you are a good mother then you need to go to bat for your daughter and tell the insurance company about all of her problems and why you are concerned. Best wishes and bleesings to you as you begin this journey.
Harriett H.
on 7/27/04 10:03 pm - Alpharetta, GA
I don't about teens but Dr Bruce Case does take medicaid. He is a very good Dr. Just love him to death. Harriett
Most Active