Dr. Proctor, and a general question

Kathy H.
on 7/24/04 11:25 am - bethlehem, GA
Hi all, A newbie here, one who is desperately wanting the surgery, but terrified to have it. I live in the Winder area. I have looked at Dr. Proctor's reviews, but was just wondering how many of you used him, and if you had any comments. Also, did any of you have any complications? How in the world did you overcome the fear? I am so afraid of leaving my kids...not so much of the surgery.. Thanks. I think you all are heroes!! Kathy
Ms.Judy
on 7/25/04 7:24 am - HOSCHTON, GA
KATHY, I LIVE IN HOSCHTON , SO WE'RE NEARLY NEIGHBORS !!! I HAD THE SURGERY MARCH 31, 2004. DR. PROCTOR DID THE SURGERY AND HE IS GREAT !!! HE HAS DONE SURGERY ON SEVERAL OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS. I STARTED OUT AT 244 BUT GAINED 11 POUNDS WHILE I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL TO 255 I NOW WEIGH 189 . I FEEL SO GOOD IT'S UNREAL. I'M 56 YEARS OLD BUT, I FEEL LIKE 25 !!!!!!! I WAS TAKING 14 PILLS A DAY AND 2 TO 5 DIABETES SHOTS A DAY AND WEAR ING A BLOOD PRESSURE PATCH, NOW I TAKE 2 PILLS A DAY . I HAVE NOT HAD ONE PROBLEM. I WAS SORE FOR ABOUT A WEEK. I WAS ONLY OUT OF WORK 12 DAYS. I ONLY WISH THEY HAD OF HAD THIS SURGERY WHEN I WAS YOUNG, SO I WOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO LIVE MOST OF MY LIFE FAT. MY COUSIN HAD THE SURGERY 9 YEARS AGO AND LOST 240 POUNDS AND HAS KEPT IT OFF. MY BROTHER IN LAW HAD IT 3 YEARS A GO AND LOST 100 POUNDS ANOTHER COUSIN HAD IT 10 MONTHS AGO AND HAS LOST 80 POUNDS AND A FRIEND HAD IT ONE AND A HALF YEARS AGO AND LOST 130 POUNDS AND ANOTHER FRIEND HAD IT LAST YEAR AND HAS LOST 180 POUNDS. DR. PROCTOR DID ALL THESE AND NONE OF US HAVE HAD ANY PROBLEMS. AND THE HOSPITAL STAFF AT LANIER PARK WERE A BUNCH OF ANGELS !!! OH YEA, MY 17 YEAR OLD COUSIN HAD IT 3 WEEKS AGO AND HAS LOST 36 POUNDS. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU . I WAS AFRAID AT FIRST , BUT I KNEW AS FAT AS I WAS I COULD HAVE A HEART ATTACK AND DIE AT ANYTIME , I JUST ASK GOD TO BE IN CHARGE AND IF I WAS SUPPOST TO HAVE THE SURGERY FOR HIM TO HANDLE IT. SO WHEN I TURNED IT OVER COMPLETLY TO HIM I WAS NOT AFRAID ANY MORE, GOD BLESS YOU. JUDY
Kathy H.
on 7/25/04 8:59 am - bethlehem, GA
Judy, Hi neighbor! I just drove through your town going to Commerce to the SAS store..they have the only shoes I can wear because mine swell so much! Thanks so much for answering! Wow, all of that is so mind boggling!! What an amazing journey your family has been on. So, none of them had complications? what a blessing! My friends keep telling me to turn it over to God, and if he doesn't want me to have it, He will throw stumbling blocks in my path. Which I believe. But, on the other hand...I feel like, yeah, but what if this is what ends my life, and God knows it? I am just confused! Do you have any advice for me? What insurance company did you use? I would like to do all of my paperwork, but put the surgery off until Christmas, or the first of summer..(I teach). How long did it take you to get approved? Any thing you can tell me would be great! You can email me at [email protected], or you can just post here! Thanks again so much for the help! God Bless, Kathy
mako1120
on 7/26/04 4:44 am - Oakwood, GA
Hi Kathy! I had my Lap RNY by Dr Procter on 12-08-03. I have lost 100 lbs and have had absolutely no complications. I was back at work in 10 days. My personal experience with WLS: It was the hardest decision I have every made in my life and the easiest diet I have ever been on. My opinion of Dr Procter is that he is the most caring, personable, person I have ever met and the absolute best physician I think anyone could ask for. He cares about the health of his patients and has been doing this surgery for years. He does this surgery not for the money but to save the lives of morbidly obese people who have no other chance at living a normal healthy life. Yes, I idolize the man!!!!!!!!! Anyway... On the fear factor: 3 days before I had surgery I almost backed out. I cried to my husband and told him that I would rather be fat than dead. I needed to cry and I needed him to know how scared I was. It did me a world of good to verbalize my fears not only to him, but to myself. When my tears dried that night, my fear went with them. I was a peace with my decision and I knew I had the best doctor and the best medical facility to have this surgery at. Best of luck on your journey.
lstivers
on 7/26/04 8:19 am - Bogart, GA
Kathy, I was a maniac before surgery. I was nervous and cried at the drop of a hat. I thinking why on earth would I do this with two teenaged children that desparately need their mom? But then I realized that after fifteen years of fighting this weight, I knew I wasn't going to win on my own. Within five to ten years I would most likely be dead anyway or have a very poor quality of live. Did I want that for my children? I DON'T THINK SO!! Dr. Procter did my surgery 6 1/2 weeks ago, and I feel amazing. We just got back from Amacalola Falls today. I hiked up all 600 of those steps to see the Falls!!!! I never would have been able to even think about that before. I think Dr. Procter can practically walk on water. Just one meeting with him and you will absolutely fall in love. I am not one to think doctors are on a higher plane than anyone else, but just one look in that man's eyes and you will know were his heart is and how much he loves his patients and his job!! I have had basically no complications. We thought I was getting a stricture, but not!!!!! Everything is going along great. I have lost 42 pounds in a little over six weeks. I am so sure that this was the right decision with the right doctor. Good luck with your journey and let us know if we can help you further. -Paige
Rick V.
on 7/26/04 1:36 pm - Gainesville, GA
Dr. Proctor did my surgery about a year ago and I've lost about 170 now. He's the best surgeon available, and I'm glad I was in such good hands. My experience has been his staff nearly impossible to deal with, though, and I use another doctor for my post-surgical follow up. I encourage you to visit the Thursday night support group and ask questions there. Almost all of those folks, myself included, had either Dr. Proctor or Dr. Richards perform their surgery and their experience can be useful in evaluating the Doctors and the post-surgical program.
Most Active