Attention Diabetics

jlinwood
on 7/19/04 12:57 pm - UNION CITY, GA
I was just wondering does the surgery get rid one of diabetes? Are there any post op diabetics out there who have experienced an improvement in the status of their diabetes after surgery?
Anna Marie D.
on 7/19/04 11:54 pm - Suwanee, GA
Hi James, Yes the surgery can greatly reduce your diabetic status. It will vary from person to person but a number of people from my support group were able to discontinue most medications from the day of surgery! Many can reduce the units of insulin they are on. I was a very low level diabetic (my a1c started at 6.7 with 7 being the cutoff). My endocrinologist had me go ahead and start taking glugophage 2x a day - 30 minutes after breakfast & dinner. I started this in Feb 03. In Aug 03 I did have to come off the meds due to some kidney problems. I had surgery 12.02.03 and at my Feb appointment my a1c was 4.4. The dr even stated that mine was better than his! Hope this helps! Marie, 1/2 the size from my highest weight! post op, 12.02.03 lapy rny, Dr Hart -112 lbs since surgery -48 lbs as pre op -109 lbs due to illness
Kelle W
on 7/20/04 12:33 am - Atlanta, GA
James, my surgery was 7/6 and I'm still having to take two glucophage a day, and that keeps my numbers in a pretty good range. Before surgery I was on 4 glucophage and one actos. I'm hoping to be off the meds completely before too much longer! Kelle
virgohoney
on 7/20/04 4:08 am - Covington, GA
Before surgery I was taking 4 Glucovance a day (1000mg each) and two Prandin (500mg each) 3 times a day. Two weeks before my surgery, my PCP wanted to put me on insulin, because even with all those meds, my blood sugar was staying at around 225 (below 150 is normal). I told him I was scheduled for surgery, so he said he'd wait to see how my blood sugar would progress. My sugar became elevated immediately after surgery (around 300) but the nurse gave me some insulin and it has been normal since. A week after my surgery, I went to my PCP and he took me off the Glucovance and Prandin and put me on 1 Gluocophage (500mg) a day. Sometimes my sugar will get too low and I don't take the medicine or I'll take 1/2 a pill. My PCP said he strongly felt that within six months I'd be off all diabetes meds!! By the way, I have been off my blood pressure meds since surgery and my blood pressure has been normal!! Good luck to you! Smooches, Chandra
Most Active