Tired of judgement

lisasolis
on 7/19/04 9:28 am - Rincon, GA
The protein shakes and all the vitamins made me nauseated. Both Andrew and I started with a little mashed potatoes from KFC, refried beans from Taco Bell and the all time favorite - Kozy Shack lo-carb pudding (they just came out with a rice pudding this weekend) The rice in the pudding does not hurt my pouch at all (regular rice does). sometimes, the solid food makes you feel fuller for longer. Personally, I do count my daily calories and carbs to make sure I do not go too high. I really wanted to taste some pizza and I am now ten weeks out. I could not find anything I liked except for bagel bites. I can take one bagel bite and eat most of the top off of it and my craving for pizza is satisfied. Good luck!!
Sherry_Berry
on 7/19/04 10:05 am - Dacula, GA
Kelle...I am a member of your "Surgeon's SUpport Board." I didn't reply to your post there...I just don't answer too many replies. As for post-op people, whether here or there, I think that many of them think that there way is the only way. Because they cant tolerate something, it's not allowed for you, etc. Am I making sense? I agree about the people being preachy thing. I was not like most post-op people. I was put on solids weeks before other people were. I did stick to the 3 week liquid diet thing, and no, I didn't cheat on that-unless you count vitamins Did you ask Dr. Appel if it was ok for you to be trying soft foods? What exactly are you eating and how much? About not feeling full-I didn'y get my stomach nerves bac****il 3 months post op. BE CAREFUL! You may not know that you are full, even if you technically are. Did you call the other nutritionist that you were seeing? I'm not dictating you...but was just curious about a few things. I wish you only the best. Sherry
Kelle W
on 7/20/04 12:39 am - Atlanta, GA
I'm only eating about 2 oz at a time. Now with my protein shakes I will drink a full glass, but it takes me a while to get it all down, about 30 minutes. With other liquids I drink about 4 oz at a time, and I sip on water all day. I'm trying to get in 64oz, but have only been successful once this week. As for what I'm eating, I have two protein shakes a day that give me 56 grams of protein, that is two of my meals, and then the other one I've had shredded cheese with vegetarian spaghetti sauce on top...just the sauce, not the chunky veggies. I've also had pintos and cheese from Taco Bell, and mashed potatoes from Boston Market with a little bit of chicken cut into tiny bites and chewed to a liquid consistency. That's about the extent of it. I am going to try an egg today. I think I'll be fine with it! Kelle
Sherry_Berry
on 7/20/04 1:16 am - Dacula, GA
The things you are describing doesn't sound like anything that will hurt you. Just make sure you take it slow. I loved refried beans with cheese and salsa and pureed black bean soup during my pureed phase. I was able to handle spicey foods just fine. I personally don't see any wrongdoing on your part...as long as you are listening to your body. Some people have trouble with eggs...I am not an egg eater, so I cannot give you any real insight on that one. Try some pureed pea soup-that has some protein in it. Keep your liquids up too Are you going to the meeting tomorrow or next monday? I might go tomorrow. As for the people on the "other board" try not to take it to heart about what they think you should be doing. They are just giving you their experiences and are trying to look out for you. Some people say you can never eat steak again and I had it 2 months out. Just keep Dr Appel on the up and up on your diet. If you aren't having probs, I don't see why you can't do as you are doing. See you soon! Sherry
lstivers
on 7/19/04 12:44 pm - Bogart, GA
Kelle, I'm sorry you've had a hard time with a few other folks. I can personally tell you that not all doctor's post-op instructions are the same. Doctor Procter allows us to advance our diet after 7 to 9 days starting with an egg. If that works well, we can try things like cheeses, tuna, soft seafood and then chicken - being careful to measure out portions. I know many patients' doctors don't allow advancing the diet until 2, 3, or 4 weeks. This seems a bit absurd. While it may help with a slightly accelerated initial weight loss, I don't think it does much for the patient's frame of mind. Keeping in mind that Dr. Procter has done over 2000 of these things and his patients are highly successful, I tend to think that there is nothing wrong with taking in soft protein at your stage. As I said, most surgeons differ in what they allow post-op. I can't believe that some surgeons allow potatoes. My doc behaves like any potato is evil. See, so many differences of opinion. As for me, I'm glad I got to eat soft protein at 9 days, and I'll keep away from potatoes, rice, and grits. It's working for me at the present! Hugs, Paige (a.k.a. Lee)
hollyhobby
on 7/21/04 12:05 pm - Jonesboro, GA
Hey Girl, I am actually glad to hear you have adjusted so well. Don't let it get you down. You need strength to maintain yourself and some calories to burn when you start exercising. Take it easy and keep in touch. holly
Most Active