Preop weight question

OHAngel2006
on 7/18/04 8:00 am - GA
Ok. No where in this process have I been told to be a certain amount under my consult weight until Jennifer calls to tell me my surgery date. Now suddenly I need to be 10lbs under that weight in 2 weeks. Of course I've gone through 4 months of insurance hell and my weight has fluctuated. Also I have PCOS and have not had a period in 6 months. I'm being very strict dietary wise right now, but for those of you with Dr Duncan as your surgeon, what is the reality of all of this? If I am at my same consult weight will he postpone my surgery?
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/04 9:12 am - Warner Robins, GA
I can't say for sure. I was never told a specific weight to loose just to make an effort. I lost 3 lbs by my pre-op and they never said a word. Good luck!! TOnya
Patsy G.
on 7/18/04 10:32 am - GA
Hi Tracy; When I went to pre-op for Dr. Duncan I met a lady who had gain 16 lbs since May. He did not cancel her surgery. I think they just want you to be in the best possible health ever. Do your best to lose as much as you can before your surgery date. I only lost 7 lbs and they told me 10-15 and they didn't cancel my surgery. The healthier you are, the better you will do in surgery. Patsy
OHAngel2006
on 7/18/04 12:12 pm - GA
Wow! I didn't know he would do it if you had gained! I have gained 12lbs since my consult and am being very strict to get that off in 2 weeks. Prayers please!!! Even my husband has decided to diet and exercise with me. He has been SO supportive of me!
nonamedamet
on 7/18/04 12:14 pm - GA
Tracy, Prayers have been said. I know I have gained since my consult and I too and very concerned that once I get through this insurance wait I will have a very short amount of time to lose weight. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and wishing you all the best. Hugs, Theresa
OHAngel2006
on 7/18/04 12:44 pm - GA
Thankyou so much for your prayers!
Trauma Queen
on 7/18/04 4:13 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi, I had my preop consult on Jan 8th and I had gained 7 pounds from the pre op consult on nov 20th (surgery was cancelled because I smoked) so the nurse told me that the doctor (not duncan I cant remember the other one, Johnson I think) said my surgery was postponed indefinently. They told me even if I had maintained the weight I was at I still would not have been able to have the surgery because they wanted me to loose. Now they want me to drop 25 pounds and I have not done that. My father is dying and I have various other issues pending..but honestly I think it has to do with insurance. I am medicare/medicaid. Of course I have heard many others who are not on public welfare that dont have to loose weight with Duncan so I think its a insurance thing. Good luck. Donna
OHAngel2006
on 7/19/04 1:18 am - GA
7/19/04 Monday update.. I am down 10lbs for last week! that means I have 6 more to get back to my consult weight before the 29th of July and hopefully I'll loose even more!
Most Active