Starting over in Duluth

Tricie 40
on 7/16/04 1:36 pm - Back Home For Good, IL
Can anybody please send me any information on getting started for WLS in Duluth. I will be relocating to Duluth 08/02/2004. This will be my 3rd time trying to get the approval. The first 2x I got all the way to waiting on approval. Went thru everything...seminars, consultations, psy exams, 26 weeks of documented medically supervised weight loss program, filling out all the paper work, calling to make sure it has been rec'd and that they have everything they needed only to be laid off both first times and I could not afford COBRA. So now I am moving to Duluth from Illinois and I start a new job 08/09/2004 and I will start over again. I can't give up. I just need to know where to start. Who are the doctors, bariatric groups, and when and where are the seminars if they are required here. I see the list of hospitals and surgeons on website, but I am not familar enough with the area to know which ones are in the area. PLEASE HELP!!!! Tricie
Sherry_Berry
on 7/16/04 9:59 pm - Dacula, GA
My doctor(Appel and Steinberg) is about 20 minutes south of where you will be...theya re at DeKalb Medical Center in Decatur. The phone number there is 404-501-7081. Give them a call and get a packet sent to you Sherry
modeanryan
on 7/17/04 2:23 am - Duluth, GA
Tricie, who will be your medical insurer with your new job? I'm from Duluth, and I use Dr. Robert Richard of Obesity Solutions in Gainesville, which is about 35 mins north of me. I had three friends who had used him before me, and I have no doubt I made the right choice for me. You can find them at www.obesitysolutions.com. Email me and we can "talk"! -Tami
nonamedamet
on 7/17/04 3:48 am - GA
Congratulations and wishing you all the best on your move and new job. As far as support groups etc there is a yahoo group that I believe is wings around atlanta that you might find to be of help. The people on this GA board are awesome. Hugs and prayers, Theresa
afbrown
on 7/17/04 8:30 am - Duluth, GA
I live in Duluth, too and I went to Dr. Christopher Hart in Suwanee - the next town NE of Duluth. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to his office from my house. He operates at either Emory-Dunwoody or Northside Hospitals. They are both within 15-20 miles, also. He also has a support group that meets once a month (the first Wednesday) at one of the office buildings at Northside Hospital from 6-8 pm. There are a few people there who have used other doctors as well. I did see a post last week about a support group that meets weekly in Lawrenceville (in the same county as Duluth), but I have never attended it. So, you have a number of options. Congratulations on your new job and hope it works out for you. Keep us posted. Ann in Duluth, GA
Kay Holder
on 7/17/04 1:47 pm - Mableton, GA
Dr Champion is one of the top Dr's in the US. He's known all over. He's done 1800 surgery with 3 deaths, all in the first few years. He's an asshole, but people all over the US said he's the best, so I chose him. He only does lap (Hes been credited for perfecting the lap procedure, he's a chairman on the ASBS board, he teaches in Europe and in the US as well) and he doesnt accept insurance, so you have to pay more for his portion. My bill was 30k and I paid him 4500. To me it was worth it because of his track record and the hospital he uses, Emory Dunwoody. He's in Marietta www.drchampion.com
Denise M.
on 7/18/04 3:47 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Hi Tricie, I also have Dr. Appel- He has been doing this surgery over 25 years AND NEVER had a death. Nor has his partner Dr. Stienburg. To me death is not an option, and I certainly do not want a surgeon who has a history of any deaths working on me... I started this on March 11th and was approved on June 8th of this year. My surgery is in a few weeks. I have to say they were very informative, and extremely supportive. GOOD LUCK! Denise That is just my opinion...
divadedi
on 7/18/04 10:08 am - Mableton, GA
Hey there, I have Dr Dennis Smith, Woodstock GA and he is the greatest. There are several doctors here, just take your time and research them and make sure they are the right fit for you.. www.advancedobesitysurgery.com
Tricie 40
on 7/19/04 3:34 pm - Back Home For Good, IL
I liked to thank everybody on all the info you guys sent me. I have to say that you guys are the best. I would try getting input on info from members in Illinois and if you are not part of the clique, you are looked over. So I really appreciate how welcome I feel. I am looking forward to moving to Duluth and hopefully I can meet some of you one day. I arrive in Duluth on 08022004. Does anybody know of a group meeting sometime around that date? Once again thanx
Most Active