Altanta Newcomer - Support?

John Niemela
on 7/15/04 9:09 pm - Hancock, MI
Hello AMOS / OH Friends, I will be arriving in Atlanta Sunday afternoon to start training for a new job on Monday and I wanted to stop by the board and introduce myself. I had my surgery almost one year ago on July 28, 2003 and at 11 months have gone from 495 to 302 ... taking off 193 pounds and 82 inches. My starting BMI was 73.1 and am now down to 44.6 I feel like a new person and if not for the weight loss, I would not have applied for the position I am starting on Monday. I will be working with an organization, Celebrate Life International working with At-Risk Youth in schools and juvenile court. Since I am moving from Michigan to Atlanta Georgia, I wanted to find out if there are any Weight Loss Support groups meeting in the Atlanta area so I can join in. I look forward to meeting you and chatting with you here on the board. Thanks, John 7/28/03 Open RNY - MicroPouch Dr. Schuhknecht CORI Centers Starting weight 495 BMI 73.1 Now 302 BMI 44.6 11 Months Post Op Down 193 pounds 82 inches
DeeDee_Cole
on 7/15/04 11:52 pm
There are several around the Atlanta area depending on where you're going to be located. I attend on in Downtown Atlanta for My Dr's group (Dr. Burrowes) and it is held at Atlanta medical Center. I know there are several that are around.... WELCOME to our cozy little group... We also get together as a group (From the OH Board) and have dinner together.....this is just starting up - so maybe you can join us there too!!!! GREAT JOB on the loss.....
Lu C.
on 7/15/04 11:53 pm - Stockbridge, GA
WELCOME TO ATLANTA, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WL WOW THAT IS WONDERFUL, WHERE EXACTLY IN ATLANTA ARE YOU MOVING, THAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO START? RIGHT IN ATLANTA OR THE OUTSKIRTS? THIS IS A BIG PLACE. LU
divadedi
on 7/16/04 12:47 am - Mableton, GA
Yeah..Welcome to Atlanta...My Dr Is Dennis Smith and Support group meetings will held on the third Thursday of each month, from 6:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. Location: Windy Hill Exchange Building (go in front entrance and go to your right, the room will be at the end of the hall on your left.) Directions: Driving North on I-75 Exit on #260 - Windy Hill Rd. (First exit outside of I-285.) Turn left at light onto Windy Hill Rd. Go to South Park Place and turn right. (Chick-fil-A will be on right at intersection of S. Park Place and Windy Hill, across from Windy Hill Hospital).
Beverly Day
on 7/17/04 4:44 am - Marietta, GA
I'm also new to the group. Thanks for letting me know about the support group at Windy Hill. I'm planning to go there next week. Good luck on your upcoming surgery, Diva!!!
Pat Bell
on 7/16/04 5:01 am - Southeast, GA
There is an on line Yahoo group called Wings around Atlanta. My guess is somebody in there could give you some good leads on finding a support group in the area you will be working. Maybe on a temporary basis you could get support on line until you can hook up with a live group. I will be in Atlanta Monday also, but only for the day. I have my six month checkup with my surgeon on Monday. Best of luck with the new job and continued success on your wls journey.
NAT
on 7/16/04 5:11 am - Atlanta, GA
Welcome Welcome, glad to have you John. Well there are some great suggestions here. Some people go to support groups by there doctor. My doctor whom is C Daniel Smith with Emory didn't have his own support group. So I went to the support group that is general and people from dozens of doctors are there. Great group of people they meet 1 time a month. Here is some info WINGS AROUND ATLANTA Weight Loss Surgery Support Group htt://groups.yahoo.com/group/WingsAroundAtlanta Beth Moore (co-founder she has a page on here under c daniel smith message board) [email protected] Hope this helps. NAT
modeanryan
on 7/16/04 7:29 am - Duluth, GA
Hi John! Welcome! I live in Duluth, and there are several groups in the Lawrenceville/Suwanee/Buford area. My doctor, Robert Richard is in Gainesville has a support group... When you determine what area of town you'll be living, we will all be happy to help you locate a group nearby... Congrats on your current success and good luck towards future successes. -tami
freespirit
on 7/16/04 9:02 am - Hawkinsville, GA
Congratulations on your success with the WLS and on your new job in Atlanta. I'm in south Georgia but read this board faithfully. We have fun here! Welcome! Robin
nonamedamet
on 7/16/04 10:47 am - GA
Congratulations and welcome to Georgia. You have already gotten all the info I have to provide, I just wanted to say hello. Wishing you all the best. Hugs and Prayers, Theresa
Most Active