What happened and what now (LONG)

Amy Williams
on 7/12/04 11:28 am
Hi Everyone! I'm still in the hospital and have no date of release yet. Friday I had taken a nap when I woke up at 4pm I had something to eat, it was something I've eaten several times. Almost an hour later my meal was still not sitting right and almost felt like I was not digesting it right or something. Next thing I knew is I threw up...UGH! Around 7pm Kenneth called me from work I still felt weird. Right after I got of the phone I started to get very cold, I put on a robe and blanket, I could not stop shaking, my teeth were chattering. I went to lay in our bed and cover up, this AWFUL chill wouldn't stop, my legs where shaking really bad. I ended up calling Kenneth back. I told him I need him to get home and what was happening. He tried leaving as fast as he could and told me to call the ambulance if things get worse. I got off the phone and called my mom, she's a nurse. I told her what was happening and by this time my nails where blue, my feet where freezing. I stayed on the phone for a little while and the shaking backed down. It was almost like having convultions. My mom said you have to call the ambulance. I was fixing to get off the phone to do that, suddenly I needed to go to the bathroom. I told my mom now my left leg is hurting, the first thing that came to mind was BLOOD CLOT. I went back to the bedroom, Kenneth had just walked in the door, He said what is wrong with your leg? I looked down it was BRIGHT red and major pain just suddenly set in. I knew right away what this was from the Lymphedema message boards I'm on. I said Please called Doxie before we leave, he didn't get her so I told him try Christine. I was in so much pain and just needed prayer. (Which I greatly appreciate from all of you, Bless you all) Kenneth was wiping my leg with a cold cloth and steam was literally coming off. We got to the ER and I told them at the desk I have Lymphedema and I know what I have is cellulitis. Lady looked at me weird. I said look and her eyes were huge when she saw just how red my leg was. They rushed me in before everyone else. Once back there unforunately they knew NOTHING about lymphedema, but thankfully did know it was cellulitis. They started an IV. Finally after about 4 hours in the ER triage area they moved me to a room. They drew on my leg to see if it was spreading. It was all like a whirlwind after that. Because of the strength of one of the antibotics I was constantly throwing up, I was freaking out that I had a striture. This antibotic is so strong my veins kept collapsing. After 5 IVs and almost 20 sticks later they said well we are going to have to try a PICC line. The doctor then came back and decided not to do it. I'd now been off ANY meds for almost 24 hours! I was getting highly upset. After fighting with the doctors they said we are going to put you on oral meds. (HUGE PILLS) I said fine, I just want this better. During all of this we had several other events, it took them 3 days to move me to a different room. The air was acting up in the old one and the bed was NOT made for my weight so I'm bottoming out nothing like a concrete bed! LOL.... other than that I'm alive and because I was throwing everthing up for 2 days I have now become dehydrated. I don't know what tomorrow is going to hold. I feel much better, but my legs is still red and painful. They are growing cultures to see what type infrection this is I should know tomorrow. The cellulitis is a direct effect of my lymphedema. Sorry to make this so long. One side note... A lady on another site wrote something depressing. I had wrote back to her. Anyhow my surgeon is also at the hospital I'm at now, so I had requested them to let him know I was admitted. He ended up coming to visit me I had an appointment today to see him anyhow. He came up to see me and he said OH you know that lady from India. I knew exactly what he was talking about, he said she emailed. I said Wow she did? He said you know that I do third world mission work, I said right. He said I think she really needs this surgery. I think I'm going to make a trip to see if I can help her. I wanted to cry. When I think about that it makes me very emotional, this lady had no hope and now she might. I know most of us love our surgeons, but I swear this man is certainly a God send. Thanks to everyone here. You ALL really mean A LOT to me. I mean that. I hope to be out and about soon. Amy
KerriGLPN
on 7/12/04 11:38 am - 'Tifton, GA
Amy, glad to hear that you are doing a bit better! Your surgeon does sound like a God send! I hope that your health continues to improve! Take care and God Bless you and your family! Kerri
modeanryan
on 7/12/04 12:22 pm - Duluth, GA
Amy! So glad to hear from you! I hope they get the infection squared away quickly. I KNOW you are ready to get out of there!! You are in my thoughts and prayers!! -Tami
tks912
on 7/12/04 12:50 pm - DUNWOODY, GA
Hi Amy , Glad to hear from you and I will be praying for you and the news about the surgeon is awesome. Tina N
lisasolis
on 7/12/04 1:32 pm - Rincon, GA
I am sorry to hear about what has happened to you and I pray you get better and better every day.
Sheila M.
on 7/12/04 1:34 pm - Athens, GA
Amy, Thank you for keeping us updated on your condition. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Your surgeon does sound like a wonderful man. Get well soon. Sheila
PEGGY B.
on 7/12/04 2:04 pm - SYLVA, NC
SMY SWEETIE YOU HANG IN THEIR AND KEEP GETTING BETTER YOU HAVE TOUCHED SO MANY OF US AND IT FEELS AS IF YOU ARE A FAMILY MEMBER WHICH YOU ARE WE ALL ARE,MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU TONIGHT AND EVERYDAY FOR AS LONG AS YOU NEED THEM PRAYER IS THE BEST MEDICINE!!!! AND A GOOD DOC WHICH IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU HAVE A AWESOME ONE, HOPEFULLY EACH DAY WILL IMPROVE AND TAKE IT EASY !!!!!!!IT IS REALLY A GOOD THING THAT YOU HAVE SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE ON YOUR LYMPHEDEMA, MAYBE ONE DAY YOU CAN CONSULT OTHERS ON THIS HEALTH ISSUE I COULD SEE WHERE YOU WOULD BE GOOD WITH THE PUBLIC AND WITH PATIENTS ANYWAY I WISH YOU THE BEST AND IF YO NEED ANYTHING JUST EMAIL BEST WISHES AND LOTS OF TLC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOODNIGHT.
brown S.
on 7/12/04 2:32 pm - ellenwood, ga
GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE GETTING BETTER DAY BY DAY MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU AND YOURS. TAKE CARE
sxynecie
on 7/12/04 3:05 pm - Jonesboro, GA
I'm glad that you are doing much better, please keep us informed on your progress. Mrs~Jackson
Anna Marie D.
on 7/12/04 7:16 pm - Suwanee, GA
Hi Amy, Prayers and good wishes are headed your way. I have had cellulitus twice prior to my wls. Both times I went to the hospital through the er with syptoms similiar to yours. Was in there a week both times. Marie post op, 12/02/03 lap rny, Dr Hart -108 lbs
Most Active