Plastic Surgery

beez
on 7/12/04 1:13 am - Clarkesville, GA
Is plastic surgery after WLS covered by insurance? In what cases can it be deemed "medically necessary"? Have a great day!!! Jerri
Anna Marie D.
on 7/12/04 8:40 am - Suwanee, GA
Hi Jerri, As always it is determined by your particular policy. Almost never covered are the arms Most will cover tummy tuck and boobs though. I am currently in the process of looking into a thigh reduction/lift. Most reconstructive surgeons want you to wait at least 12 to 18 months after your gastric bypass. One of the ones I have spoken to has said she would do a thigh reduction at 9 months and do the lower body lift when I have finished losing weight. I had a serious illness 2 1/2 years ago so I have lost a total of 263 lbs. My thighs will become functional so she seemed to think I will be able to get approval but it is always a crapshoot. When looking through my benefits booklet, one place I can find it would be covered and in another it says absolutely not for sagging skin. Marie post op, 12/02/03 lap rny, Dr Hart -106 since surgery -48 as pre op -109 due to illness
beez
on 7/13/04 12:40 am - Clarkesville, GA
Boy, long road to get where you are! I can't imagine an illness causing that much weight loss. I'm so glad you made it thru! Good luck on your thigh revision. Thanks again for the info!! Jerri
Most Active