Help Folks.. I can't find the chewable vitamins...

modeanryan
on 7/11/04 1:27 pm - Duluth, GA
Hi everyone, I went out tonight to purchase all my stuff I needed for post op (YAY!! Didn't think I would EVER get here!!) and I tried to find the chewable calcium citrate and the B-12...but couldn't find it at Walmart... Am I correct? Am I supposed to have all of these in chewable form? Also, what multivitamin are you all using? Thanks for your help! -Tami
Sungurl B.
on 7/11/04 6:08 pm - Atlanta, GA
Heya Tami....I didn't get chewables, I just took the pills, had to cut them up to take them but I did okay with them. Not sure what your doc recommends though! As for the B-12, I do shots, but others do the sublingual (dissolves under your tongue), don't waste any money on b-12 pills, you can't absorb them...Personally, I like the shots, then I KNOW what I'm getting...some say we don't absorb all the sublinguals..so who knows Congrats on your big day...it'll be here SOON! Hugs, Terri
Anna Marie D.
on 7/11/04 9:02 pm - Suwanee, GA
Hi Tami, My surgeon has me use chewable Tums for calcium (2 a day) and I use the sf variety in orange cream. I use Flinstone complete with extra iron for vitamins (2 a day). I'm not sure of the brand b-12 sublingual that I use but it is cherry flavored and dissolves very easily under the tongue (1 a week). I got those at Nutrition Depot (on Peachtree Ind Blvd & Pleasant Hill behind the Wendy's/Taco Bell). I have found the vitamins and tums at Walmart for the best prices but you could probably also get those at the nutrition depot. There is a huge debate between calcium citrate or carbonate and b12 shots or sublinguals. At 7 months out I have no problems with either. Hope this helps! Marie post op 12/02/03 Lap rny, Dr Hart -106 lbs
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/04 3:11 am - Warner Robins, GA
Tami, I bought liquid B-12 from Wal-mart. That's the best kind to buy(liquid) It was almost 6.00 I believe. I couldn't find a chewable calcium except for the Viacitiv chews but it isn't the calcium citrate. I plan to buy the pills and cut them into quarters until I can find a chewable citrate. Tonya
Patima
on 7/12/04 9:06 am - GA
I bought most of my vitamins and supplements from WalMart. Equate Children's Chewable Vitamins w/Iron - $3.57 for 60 Cheaper than Flintstones and are the same thing. I know a lot of people prefer the gummy vitamins. B12 500mcg - Rexall Sublingual - $3.96 for 200 I only got these to start because my PCP wants me to have the shots. But my first appointment with her is 4 weeks after my surgery, so I wanted to have something until then. She is going to start me on the shots at her office, then later I would be giving them to myself. B Complex/B1 50 mg - Spring Valley Super B Complex - $3.96 for 200 I got the Super B Complex because it had 50 mg more of B1 than the regular B Complex, so I killed 2 birds with one stone. These are tablets, but I bought a combination pill splitter/crusher for about $5. I will have to crush my other meds, so I can crush this one, too. They didn't have a chewable or liquid, but I found UpCal Powder at VitaLady - $22.99 for a 3 month supply. Or wlssuccess has a liquid for $8.00. Bariatric Advantage has a chewable, but it works out of $7.95 for a 12-day supply to get the needed 1200mg. Otherwise I will have to cough up the extra and get the Citracal tablets and crush them. Just remember, it needs to be calcium citrate so it is absorbed better. I don't have to take the 65 mg of iron (must be gluconate or fumarate, NO sulfate), but found a chewable at Bariatric Advantage that is only 18mg so works out to $9.95 for a 10 day supply! VitaLady has Tender Iron Tablets that would be $11.99 for about a 6 month supply. I have ordered sample or trial sized (some free) protein drinks galore and even got some samples from other folks to try after my surgery. I don't want to spend a lot of money and find out that I can't tolerate them like some people have. So I will try these after my surgery, find out what I can handle, then go to Discount Nutrition. I found Discount Nutrition near the Mall of Georgia and their prices are wonderful. Plus they give an extra 10% discount to bariatric patients. They also carry a lot of the supplements and vitamins there. I frequent WalMart, so thought it would be easier to get everything from one place. Good luck in your search. Patti
Most Active