A Serious Question ????

Denise M.
on 7/11/04 12:04 pm - Stone Mountain, GA
Hi Everyone! I have a serious question to ask, and hope it does not make anyone uncomfortable. Prior to surgery, did anyone update their will and add a living will? I ask because, unfortunately, I am an organizer, and although I know that this is like any other surgery, I want to make sure that all my stuff is in order just in case. l-) I told my husband I wanted to put something on videotape with my explicit wishes on it and he freaked out. He thought I was being really morbid and got real upset. Our wills are over 15 years old, and they need re-vamped to incorporate some other things. I also do not want anyone stressed out about making decisions about me should something go wrong.... I am just being a realist- Am I morbid? Did any of you prepare? Denise
Sheila M.
on 7/11/04 12:26 pm - Athens, GA
Hey Denise, I am a pre-op, but the support group that I attend the leader has told all of us the first thing we need to do is "Get Our Affairs in Order". I plan to do just that, and I hope and pray that you or I do not need this in the end but we will be prepared. Good Luck! Sheila
KerriGLPN
on 7/11/04 12:50 pm - 'Tifton, GA
Denise, hello! Good luck with the surgery. And I did do a will prior to surgery and also let my family know exactly what I did and didnt want just incase! But thankfully we didnt have to worry about it but yet on the other hand its better safe than sorry! Just try to let him know that your doing this so he wont have to make the decision alone. That while you are in sound mind and body that you want him to know. He probaly was in shock like my husband was. He thought that with me talking to him about a will that I knew that I was going to die which was not the case at all and he got really scared and upset about it. But I wouldnt want him, family or even yours to have to make that decision when in the end its up to us! Please let me know if I can help in any way! I m a nurse and I see families with this situation alot. Dont get me wrong its not any easier no matter how many times I see it! I hope everything will workout for you and good luck again for surgery! Keep us posted! May God Bless you and the family! Kerri
Denise M.
on 7/12/04 5:14 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Hey Kerri I just did my Ga Stautory POA, Ga General durable POA,Ga Stautory POA for Health Care, Ga Living Will, Duable Power of Atty for Financial Mgmt, and declaration of trust. I feel alot better now that I have this handled, and will take next week to get it all witness and notorized. My mom mentioned to me I need to do a POD with the banks- (Payable On Death) so that our joint accounts do not get hosed. She also told me I need to take my Will and file with Probate. I will handle all of that before surgery as well. Like I said, I expect positive results- but am trying to get things in order just in case.... Thanks for the feedback! Denise
(deactivated member)
on 7/11/04 12:57 pm - Warner Robins, GA
I think it's an excellent time to get everything in order. Hopefully, God willing you won't need it. It's something we hate to think about but really no one is guaranteed a tomorrow. It gives peace of mind and then you'll have it updated for the future anyway.. My G-ma had her affairs in order even down to the funeral services and casket. It helped my family so much to have everything prepared in such a difficult time. Not saying you ahve to go that far but it's something we should all think about wls surgery or not. Tonya
Denise M.
on 7/12/04 5:18 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Hi Tonya, I was really to read about your loss. Hope you and your family are doing well. My main reason for wanting to get myself in order is that my dad had a health issue that required myself and brother to be his POA. It was hard, long and stressfull to try and get his things in order. Even when he passed away 14 months later, it was horrible and stressful. I do not want my family to ever have to go through that. Denise
modeanryan
on 7/11/04 1:13 pm - Duluth, GA
You are asking a very valid question. I have a living will together, and when you go for your preop they will ask you if you have one, and if you do, to bring it with you. To give you an idea, I have had mine for a number of years, simply because my best friend and I started traveling alone, and I wanted to make sure that if something happened on a trip (God Forbid) that my kids would be taken care of. Your husband is just nervous and doesn't want to think about you needing a will....
Most Active