Update on Kelle

Kay Holder
on 7/8/04 7:08 am - Mableton, GA
She's in a lot of pain. The morphine was making her sick, and the Dr was going to change her to lortab, but he's been in the same surgery since 1 pm and can't give the order, so she's still on the morphine. She just walked for the first time, the nurses wouldn't even help her, and they never tried to get her up. She realized when she woke up at 3:30 that she hadn't walked, and just NOW finally got to walk, and only then because her mom finally asked for the nurse manager. Her cath bag was full, and had not been changed, (she still has a cath), her pain med bag had been empty for ever and not been changed, which caused the pain I talked about up top. She said the pain is a 6 now opposed to the 10 earlier. She said the Pulmonary Dr was a complete asshole about everything. He squeezed her leg, and asked if it hurt. She said yes, and he said "Come on, my hands aren't that strong" He squeezed the other and she said no, it didn't hurt, and he said "Come on now..!" Then the nurse asked if they should do a Doppler because her legs were tight, and she could have a blood clot, which of course will freak anyone out, and the other pulmonary Dr said no, and the asshole Dr said again.."Aww come on now" She finally asked him if he WANTED something to be wrong with her, and he left the room. She was not in ICU.. she never was. Her mom was confused. She can't leave til Saturday, and she says she's ready to get the hell home. She's eating ice and watered down juice. She's still in good spirits though.
modeanryan
on 7/8/04 7:34 am - Duluth, GA
DEAR HEAVENS!!!!!!!!! What hospital is she in?? You know, when I read the memorial pages, I noticed that the most common problem was blood clot / embolism, and noticed that the majority of these were a couple of years ago. When I had my consult, I mentioned this to my doctor, and asked him if they had just started paying more attention to this condition in the past couple of years, or was it something else. (My surgeon has their own bariatric wing at the hospital I will be at..) He said when he is in a normal hospital, and if you don't have a very motivated nurse, even if his orders are for the nurse to go in and make the patient walk, they may not do it. I asked my friend who is an O.R. nurse and she agreed...she says in some hospitals if the nurse is really busy and goes to the patient that is supposed to walk, and gets any real resistance, they will give up on trying.... A more motivated nurse would push the issue and MAKE the patient get up and walk. Sounds like in Kelle's case, she WANTS to walk, but doesn't have a motivate nurse or anyone else!! It certainly sounds like she is getting sub-par care!! That makes me so mad!!!
Kay Holder
on 7/8/04 8:02 am - Mableton, GA
She's definatly hot about it. She also said her insicion was huge since they had to fix the hernia and remoe her gall bladder. poor thing!
lstivers
on 7/8/04 9:22 am - Bogart, GA
Kay, thanks so much for the update. Is there anything we can do for her? Does she need anything? -Paige
Sherry_Berry
on 7/8/04 9:29 am - Dacula, GA
She's at Dekalb Medical Center on the 3rd floor somewhere...I had surgery there and had a good experience. I am glad she has her mom there to be her advocate...that is the most important thing if you are getting ready for surgery. Don't worry-when Dr Appel gets up on that floor he will raise HELL! Let's hope he already did and she is doing better Sherry
Becky F
on 7/8/04 9:39 am - Woodstock, GA
Let's hope that the nurse and PCA who come on at 7:00 are competent and caring!!! Hopefully, a different pulminary doctor will see Kelle too. What a horrible bedside manner! Since the nurse mentioned the Doppler, I wish they would do it. Thank you so much for updating us! Please give Kelle our love! Becky
Denise M.
on 7/8/04 9:47 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Thanks for the update Kay Kay, I just updated your info to Dr Appel's board for her fellow support group folks to read. I am a tad bit appalled to read this information. DeKalb Medical is normally a bit more on the ball.... I am praying for her, and hoping things improve. I appreciate this update. Denise
lisasolis
on 7/8/04 9:57 am - Rincon, GA
Thanks for the update!
ShonF.
on 7/8/04 11:29 am - Peachy State, GA
Tell Kelle to hang in there. Glad her mom is there with her to keep this idots on top of things. Shondra
NAT
on 7/8/04 11:34 am - Atlanta, GA
I am so mad about how stupid they are. She might as well have been at Emory. Thats how dumb they were there also. Gosh don't these hospital check people background or do any follow up anything. I hope they do the doppler also since she said it. What a ***** I swear... Some people just need to be mowed down. Just becuz your in a hospital all day with patients all day does not mean I am. Grrrrrr. But she is a trooper and Kelle ain't havin it I know. So it's won't go on for to long and I am also glad her mom is there. "RIGHT ON MOM!!!!" NAT
Most Active