Depressed & Discouraged

J. Gwevonne H.
on 6/30/04 11:37 am - Marietta, GA
Well, I had my last appointment today. Psych Eval.............I was fine until he told me I was depressed and needed to be on Lexapro. This is the third doctor that has tried to prescribe antidepressants to me. I feel fine!!!!!!! Being this weight, I know my limitations and I work (function) within those limitations, good greif...............I wasn't depressed before, but I AM NOW!
sxynecie
on 6/30/04 2:42 pm - Jonesboro, GA
Gwevonne, Don;t worry they told me the same thing, I did have to have a follow up visit, which was the next week. Then I was cleared for surgery. Mrs~Jackson
Dixie P.
on 7/1/04 12:34 am - Atlanta, GA
If this is the third doctor who has prescribed antidepressants to you, you might want to step back and take another look at yourself. Often people who are depressed are in denial about their depression or ust can't recognize it themselves. Being morbidly obese is enough to make us depressed, but if the psychiatrist knows you are attempting to rid yourself of your excess weight and STILL believes you need to be on antidepressants, then perhaps there is something else going on. Don't summarily write off the doctor's recommendation. There isn't any harm in trying them. Who knows? You may feel a lot better and your better state of mind may help you recover quickly from wls and succeed at it!!! Good luck!!!!
Pat Bell
on 7/1/04 4:14 am - Southeast, GA
Personally if THREE professionals had suggested I go on anti-depressants I'd take some time to figure out if they are correct instead of dismissing the idea. Going on them doesn't mean you need to be on them the rest of your life, but sometimes we really do need them. Contrary to some peoples opinions not all doctors are quick to suggest this type medication. Maybe they saw something in you that you haven't looked for because you don't want to see it. Many obese people hide under the fat and simply don't allow themselves to be in touch with feelings. Best of luck!
hollyhobby
on 7/1/04 10:10 pm - Jonesboro, GA
Sorry to hear about your issue. I was told by my psychiatrist that I was bi-polar. This is a more advanced stage of depression and anxiety. I was scared because I didn't know anything about it, but my medicine has brought me back down to earth. My doctor told me that depression sinks in worse after surgery becaue you can't eat comfort foods to make you feel better. The anti-depressants will actually help you get your head straight before surgery and continue after surgery. I hope that this information helps you understand. Good luck and keep your head up! Holly
Most Active