Recovery question ?? open R&Y,Fobi

Travis T.
on 6/27/04 11:34 am - Hogansville,, GA
Hi Folks , I had a couple of questions , my surgery is july 13th ,, and i was wondering what recovery time was , like when i could go back to work?? ,, how long before i can fly on a plane ??,how long til i can lift or exercise ??And at what rate can i progress , ??? just any type of info is welcome . Thanks in advance . Tonya , i see your surgery is the day after mine , what hospital are u in ??? Thanks Travis I am having the Open R&Y , with fobi pouch
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/04 11:58 am - Warner Robins, GA
Hey Travis, Yep, mine is the day after yours. I will be at AMC. Dr Burrowes does his surgeries there also doesn't he? We'll have to do a lap together Sorry I can't answer any of your questions. I am having LAP RNY and hopse to beable to go back to work in 2 weeks.(fingers crossed and prayers being sent!) Tonya
Travis T.
on 6/27/04 1:22 pm - Hogansville,, GA
Hey Tonya , Yes dr. Burrowes does use AMC ,, but my surgery is going to be done at emory dunwoody ,, he uses both hospitals ,, iwish you luck , and we will keep in touch Travis
KerriGLPN
on 6/27/04 12:38 pm - 'Tifton, GA
Travis, hello and congrats on the date! I had my surgery on 3-15! Every person is different with times they are allowed to go back to their normal routines! With me I had open RNY! I was eating basic normal food within a month to month and half! I do have problems with milk though! About the weight lifting etc its best to let your surgeon lead you with that! I had a history of trouble with incisions so I started back working out about a month after surgery then had to slow down because I was having some pain with it! SO its easier to take it day by day and rely on how you feel along with your doctor! I was out of the bed within 4 hours and walking the halls with a 9 in*****ision! I have had several friends go back to work within 2-3 weeks but again everyone is different and your doc knows best! As far as the flying part couldnt help there! Never flown! lol! But I will be remembering you and hope the best for you as you begin your new journey! God Bless you and Good Luc****rri
DeeDee_Cole
on 6/27/04 9:05 pm
Everyone progresses at a different rate. I didn't go back to work for 3 weeks...but I work an office job where lifint is non-exsisting. The scar will be about 3" long and depending on how you heal will depend on a lot of what you're allowed to do. I'm still on purreed foods until my next visit.....I've just let Dr. B give me the lead to what I can or can not do! Follow his instructions and you'll do fine!
Karel J.
on 6/28/04 4:58 am - GA
Travis, You're going to LOVE Emory Dunwoody!! Don't hesitate to ask for anything from the nurses. They're at your service and very knowledgeable, too! I think it was about 3 weeks when my doctor cleared me to exercise. I'm still limited to lifting no more than 25 lbs. I'll be 3 months out on Wednesday and I'm fully enjoying life! I've been to Six Flags and White Water and have enjoyed everything I've desired to do. I think the first 2 - 3 months is crucial so don't tempt yourself into doing anything that might harm you. I'm sure flying would be ok soon after surgery. Driving was a no-no for me for 3 weeks. And when it comes to buying clothes, wait until your current clothes fall off then buy only your bare necessities. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll be shrinking! Ask all the questions you want even if they seem dumb. We're all here to help each other! Karel
Most Active