Dr. D said lose 50 more lbs

hollyhobby
on 6/25/04 12:07 pm - Jonesboro, GA
I am in a state of shock, Dr. D wants me to lose 50 more pounds in the next six weeks. My weigh in day is August 12th. I am really worried about this whole thing. I have already lost about 20, but they said that losing this weight will make up for the 20% that I probably wouldn't lose on the back end. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Holly
cbouland
on 6/25/04 11:28 pm - Conyers, GA
Okay question... Did you go see him or did they tell you this preop? Go out and buy The South Beach diet book. It is great and tells you alot of information. It is written by Dr. Arthur Agastston. He is an awsome cardiologist is So. Fl. I have actually met him and his book really makes sense.... Hope this helps.... I got my date... but was only told to bring Hpylorie blood results and a med clearance letter... Connie
DebbieJ
on 6/25/04 11:44 pm - Atlanta area, GA
WHAT!!!! 50 pounds in 6 weeks as a pre-op, with major surgery to follow.........how safe can that be??? I'm sorry, but I'm going to say it like I see it........What a Crock!!! You need to be the healthiest you possible on surgery day and if you do manage to lose 50 pounds in 6 weeks on a VERY restrictive diet (it would have to be very restrictive, to lose 50 pounds in 6 weeks) just how healthy do you think you will be? While weight loss prior to surgery is not a bad thing, as a matter of fact can be a wonderful thing...........but 50 pounds in six weeks........OMG!! Holly, I'm sorry, but I think this request is out of line. I would never presume to tell you what to do, but have you called any other offices to see what their procedure is. Good Luck to you
Siddy I.
on 6/26/04 3:40 am - Savage, MN
Holly, I'm sorry but I totally agree with Debbie. I can understand some doctors wanting you to lose some weight pre-op but 50 pounds in 6 weeks is a load of bull!! If you could do that *SAFELY* now why the hell have surgery??????? How about call his office and ask why 50 pounds. Then ask will he not do surgery if you dont make it. Ask just how he suggest you lose that amount of weight without making you unhealthy for surgery. If they say you have to lose or no surgery, RUN, RUN, RUN and find another doc as soon as possible. Your life is way more important than to put it at risk like that. Good luck and take care. Sidney
Margie C.
on 6/26/04 7:55 am - Marietta, GA
My doctor, Dr.Daly told me he did not want me to lose any weight because he did not want amalnurished, dehydreated patient. It does not make any sense to me what your Dr told you. It would also send up lots of red flags. Hang in there.
freespirit
on 6/26/04 10:26 am - Hawkinsville, GA
When I went to Dr. Duncan for my consulation, I was told he will not operate on anyone over a 55 BMI. I was over 55 at that time and they asked me to lose some weight too...but that was a my consult a month ago. There was never a date by which I had to lose this weight. Maybe this is the reason for his request for you to lose weight. I don't know anybody that can lose 50 pounds in 6 weeks though. Hope this helps. Robin
ljks1950
on 6/27/04 2:48 am - Fayetteville, GA
I was told to lose weight also, and am a patient of Dr. D's. I only lost 5 pounds. I had been told that the higher the bmi the higher the risk. Also, it is viturally impossible to lift a massive fatty liver with the sensitive instruments that do the surgery. I imagine they are working on improving the instruments. The higher the bmi, the riskier the surgery. I had to lose the 15 pounds and was told if I gained one ounce, the surgery was off. Now, in your case, 50 lbs is a huge request. Question the office more about this request. Is it for health reason/and risk cutting or is it so the end results will be better?
cheche00
on 6/28/04 12:19 am - Lawrenceville, GA
I had my surgery Aug. 21, 03 I was told to loose around 20 lbs before surger but I didn't I was the same weight I was the day they weighed me in and that was fine I think for most people they want to know that you are serious and ready for a life change I know they don't want you to gain any weigh before surgery. Did Dr. Duncan or one of is Associate Dr. tell you to loose 50 lbs before the surgery? Don't get too upset talk to Dr. Duncan yourself you don't want to miss your surgery Date by starting over with another Dr. these insurance company are trying to stop paying for GB you got your approval try to get the surgery done talke to him and see if you really have to loose 50 lbs before the surgery. Keep the hope don't get down.
Kelle W
on 6/28/04 1:41 am - Atlanta, GA
Holly, that sounds a little extreme to me....I think it's awesome that you've lost 20 pounds on your own! I agree with the other folks who say to call his office and ask why 50 and what's going to happen if you don't make it......let us know what they say! Kelle
Most Active