I NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!

Sonya J.
on 6/24/04 11:50 am - Southeast, GA
Original Post by Sonya J. at 6:22 PM EST on 06/24/2004 Southeast, GA I went to an information seminar for a new Bariatric Center in Savannah. The nurse was very informative and answered may of my questions. My only concern now is that he surgeon, Dr. John Angstadt, has only perform approximate 10 gastric bypass surgeries. He has years of surgical experience and developed a comprehensive plan that includes pych. eval, nutritional consult, etc. both pre and post op. It would be easier to have Memorial Bariatrics perform the procedure instead of going through the process of getting the surgeon I had anticipated--Dr. Peter Henderson. Dr. Henderson is out of network with Blue Cross Blue Choice HMO. I would have to go through the process of getting him nominated to completed the process. Dr. Angstadt has had several trainings to perform the procedure, including the operating room staff. He also has some association with the American Bariatric Association. Also, I like the one on one attention that I have gotten for Memorial Health Bariatrics (Dr. Angstadt). Dr. Henderson's office is very busy and I'm concerned that it will take too long to gain approval for the surgery. However, I've seen first hand how knowledgable he and his staff are with performing WLS. Help!!! I don't know what to do! Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sonya
lisasolis
on 6/24/04 1:16 pm - Rincon, GA
I am post op 5/13 and I had my surgery in Atlanta with Dr. Champions' office. Both myself (49) and my son (21) had our surgeries the same day. It is now 6 weeks and I have lost 40 lbs. and my son has lost 51 lbs. I comtemplated using Dr. Angstadt but at the time he had not done any surgeries and I had a few cardiac problems, so I spoke with Cheryl and decided to go to Atlanta. What is your age and health status. Also - you should speak with some of the others who have had surgery with him before. I know one lady named Michelle who had her surgery with him and she is very pleased with it. She was his second patient. I probably would have used him if I did not have any problems with my heart. He seems like a competent surgeon and they have an excellent support system.
KerriGLPN
on 6/24/04 1:48 pm - 'Tifton, GA
Sonya, hello and good luck with the journey. Its up to you which surgeon you choose. But I wont lie - Dr. Henderson done mine. I was using a doctor in Macon at first and they just kept putting me off. I called Dr. Henderson s office spoke with Cheryl and within 5 mins had a surgery date! I ve not had any problems with anyone from his office. I do not know anything about the new dr you were asking about! But I d be a bit weary without the experience but as I said the decison is up to you! Hope this helps and good luck! Let me know if I can help you in any way! Kerri
Donnie ..
on 6/24/04 1:52 pm - GA
I went to Dr. Duncun's meeting this past tuesday, and he said that picking a doctor is a very important thing. He also said that you want a doctor who has a lot of experience, because it brings their rate of complication down. Because in this line of business, you do a sucessful procedure, and repeat it time and time again. Food for thought.
tisfemin
on 6/24/04 2:47 pm - Gadsden, AL
Sonya, It's a tough choice I'm sure. I will tell you what they said the last time Gastric bypass was discussed on 20/20. They said most of the horror stories they tell are from inexperienced doctors. They said that complication rates decrease greatly for surgeons who've performed over 100 gastric bypass surgeries. I had two choices when it came time for my surgery. I could use a doctor who claims he's performed many of them in another state(a few here) and pay him only my copay or I could choose Dr. JK Champion who has performed almost 2000 and pay several thousand because he's out of network. I feel that I was BLESSED to have the funds to use Dr Champion. It's sad...all surgeons have to start somewhere. But, I wasn't willing to let it be with me. Good Luck with your decision. Christie
bettinar
on 6/24/04 11:55 pm - baltimore, md
Sonya- This will be a very hard decision for you. I know because it took me almost 2 yrs and 4 doctor visits later until I decided on Dr. Champion. Does the doctor you are considering do the surgery lap or open? Because that will be something you will have to consider. If he is just starting to doing the surgeries lap there could be a high possiblity that he may have to convert from lap to an open surgery. I even saw one doctor (in Baltimore) that had been doing the surgery for years, but he was just starting to do the surgery lap and I met his first lap patient and she was under the knife for 10 hours and he still had to open her up and finish the surgery. But, if you can go with a doctor that does the surgery lap because you pain and healing time will be greatly reduced. I had my surgery on 5/25 and the last time I took a pain pill was on the day I was released from the hospital on 5/27 and I was up walking around a Super Wal-Mart on 5/28. Also, I met a doctor that had done a 143 surgeries and I was a little nervous that I would end up being #200 (I think the mortality rate they give now days is 1 in 200?). I do agree that if you are in good health with few co-morbidities then the surgery will go fine. Also, I agree that everyone starts somewhere. If they didn't some of the doctors would not have 2000 surgeries under their belt. I think you should make an appointment with him and Dr. Henderson and check him out. If you don't like him or if you don't feel comfortable about his skills, then you will still have your appointment w/ Dr. Henderson. Also, check the doctor out on the following web site www.medicalboard.state.ga.us. There are also a good number of very skilled doctors in Atlanta area that you may want to consider. Good luck with you decision. Bettina
nonamedamet
on 6/25/04 1:03 am - GA
Your surgery, your choice of surgeon. It is best that you pick who you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable and confident with your choice then you should do very well. I chose a surgeon that I was comfortable with but it was a major consideration as to the number of surgeries he had already preformed like the one I want to have. There is a doctor locally doing this surgery but didn't have the experience so I chose to drive further. My family is concerned about the distance involved in case there is an emergency but I feel that I made the best choice for me. May you be blessed with peace regarding your decision, Theresa
Michelle J.
on 6/25/04 5:51 am - Savannah, GA
I had my surgery 3-29-04 with Dr.Duncan in Atlanta. Hes done 1200 ++++ surgerys i live here in savannah. Personally I would not want anyone that has done only 10 surgerys operate on me. The drive to Atlanta is aweful sometimes but well worth it. I have had no problems, 55lbs down. I have bc/bs of ga ppo and dr duncan was covered.
Most Active