Why Me?!!!!!

Becky S.
on 6/18/04 11:49 am - Clinton, SC
Well, once again I have been shot down as they say and I am not sure if I even want to get back up. As some of you know, I started out with Dr. Robinson in Conyers last June to get the Gastric By-Pass Surgery. To make a long story short, after months of errors and misplacement of my file, I finally got a surgery date for March 2. On March 1, I did my thing during the day and that night started my "Fun" thing when the phone rang around 9:30pm. It was Dr. Robinsons nurse who told me that my surgery was cancelled and that I would need to find another surgeon that he quit. When I asked why, she just said she was not at liberty to say why. Talk about shock! I finally get another call from Dr. Robinsons office and they tell me that I can pick up my whole medical record so I can take it to the new surgeon. Well it hit me that this was really happening and that I had better start looking. As I was calling around, one of the places I called was Emory who stated that they were trying to fit all of Dr. Robinsons patients in and since those of us had already been approved, they were going to try and get our surgeries done ASAP. When I had called Dr. Duncan's office, they had told me the same thing so I attended both of their seminars. At Emory's seminar they still stressed that Dr. Robinsons patients would be getting surgery dates soon if they had already been approved by their insurance company. But, at Dr. Duncan's seminar their tune changed a bit. When I spoke with his surgical secretary about how soon Dr. Robinson's patients would be getting surgical dates, she rudely told me that we would be taken care of after his other patients and that we would not be placed before the others. I asked her even if we were already approved and ready to go for surgery and she again stated rudely that we would not be place ahead of the others before they had been approved and had their surgery. So, I chose Emory who I thought was the best decision. Yea, Right!!! Took me a month to get an appointment with Dr. Lin who is their youngist surgeon and then what should have only taken 1 week to get off to BCBS took 5 weeks. The only thing that had to be done was BCBS had to approve Dr. Lin as my surgeon and change the code from open to Lap. Everytime I called Emory to see if they sent the paperwork I was told that it had been sent. But BCBS said they did not get it. This went on for 3 weeks and finally the lady who was to actually do the approval herself called me and told me to have them fax it directly to her. I called Emory, gave them the message, fax number and her name. I was told by Emory that they do not fax the paperwork that it is sent through the data base. Well, by now I am so tired, my neuropathy is starting to spread up my right leg and sometimes I drag it when I walk and my depression is so low that I cannot even touch bottom as they say. When the nurse from BCBS calls me at home again, I burst into tears and I am crying so hard that I cannot even talk so she tells me to stay on the phone with her until I calm down. Then we talk and I tell her what Emory said. She really gets mad and gets names and phone numbers from me and starts calling people at Emory. Well, the first person she talks to hangs up on her. I could not believe that. Then the higher up management tells her that they are faxing the info to her right then...she never got it. She calls back, same thing...we are faxing it to you. Never got it. Ok, this time she calls back, verifies that they have the correct fax number..they do, will fax again...Never do. She calls me and says that she has done everything she can and apologizes for it. Then my husband remembered a friend worked for Emory, calls her, she gets a big wig to call me and BAM they are on it like a wolf is on a rabbit. When they question the higher up, they state that they are faxing it and do not know why BCBS is not getting it. So the top Administrator calls me back and gives me the fax number which was not the correct number. Now, remember, BCBS nurse had verified with them that they had the correct number, so when I told her that the fax # was wrong then she asked for the correct one. I gave it to her but I also told her that I had given them the correct # and so did BCBS. In fact the fax # did not even belong to BCBS at all and was not even working. The administrator was going to do some investigating to see why they did what they did. Not even 2 hours later I get a phone call from someone in the dept. that handles insurance at Emory. The lady first apologizes for the mixup and tells me that they have faxed the paper work to BCBS and verified it with them that they recieved it. I outright asked her why did Emory lie to me all those weeks about faxing it when they did not. She admitted they lied but did not have an explanation for why. She then apologizes again on behalf of the office for the trouble they caused me and that everything has been taken care of. Now all of this has caused me a delay of another 4 weeks. BCBS said that it would take them about 1 week to do their part and then they will fax it back to Dr. Lins office. Dr. Lin had told me at his consult that his surgical calander stays booked up as far as 3 months ahead so now I am looking at surgery to happen possibly...and I mean a big POSIBBLY October or November. This will put me at almost 1 year from the date of my original surgery and 2 years from the month that I started the process of trying to get gastric by-pass surgery. This really makes me sick to my stomache and scares me to think what could happen. I know that God was looking out for me with Dr. Robinson, especially since the lady he operated on before me died. He had several people to die and he was not honest with us when we asked him about that. But, when I read that his other patients are now getting their surgeries now with other surgeons or that some people did not even apply to get this surgery until the first of 2004 and they will be getting their surgery in the next month or so, I just want to cry, lay down and die and shut down all together. Sometimes I tell myself that maybe God does not want me to have this surgery, but if I do not get it, I will end up paralyzed in about 6 months to a year and my doctors tell me that I will not live to be 60 (I just turned 49). I feel like 49 years old is to young to be in a wheel chair or having to worry about death. Maybe I am being to selfish about my feelings and I should just shut up but I cannot help the way I feel. I feel like the cartoon character in the funny paper who used to always have a black cloud with rain hanging over him all the time. Please pray for me during this dark time for me and that I will see light again which will help me if and when my turn comes for surgery. Sorry this is so long. God Bless You all. Hugs, Becky Stanford
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/04 12:01 pm - Warner Robins, GA
Becky, I am praying for you and will continue to. I promise I will! I want to you to pick yourself up and dust yourself off and keep going. Your life is worth it. It's hard to go through tough times and all you have been through and understand that there IS a reason this is happening. We may not understand it now but God does have a plan for you and we have to remember that HIS time is NOT OUR time. Your day will come soon and it will be the right time for you. Thank GOD for being merciful enough to spare you from what could have happened with Dr Robinson. Give all thanks to GOD. Turn it over to him and leave it there. Don't take it back and let him work it out. OK HUGS, HUGS and MORE HUGS to you! Let us be your support here on the GA board and we will help you keep your chin up ok! Tonya
Becky M.
on 6/18/04 12:31 pm - Jackson, GA
I am so sorry you are going through this but it will all work out. I returned your e-mail the other day , I hope you got it. I know it will all fall into place soon. Take care and chin up......... Becky
ShonF.
on 6/18/04 12:55 pm - Peachy State, GA
Becky, I'm sorry that you are going through this right now. Try and stay strong everything will work out in the end. It may seem hard right now but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Shondra
nonamedamet
on 6/18/04 1:15 pm - GA
I cannot answer the why me question, I can promise to pray and I have already asked God bless you and your family with whatever you need. Please don't give up on yourself, or your faith in the fact that you will have the surgery and will feel better soon...I am so sorry that things have been so rough for you. Hugs and prayers, Theresa
Kelle W
on 6/18/04 2:04 pm - Atlanta, GA
Becky, please don't give up. Everything will be allright. I also don't want you to quit posting...even if you have rail and holler everyday until this is resolved...talk to us about it. I know you feel like you've been singled out, but the honest and scary thing is this could happen to any of us. The surgeon's offices (all of them I will say) have gotten so lax with us that they no longer seem very on top of their game to me. Even in the best of situations it still takes a ridiculous amount of time to get through the hoops. And the insurance companies...lord lets not even talk about them. I hate that you're having to deal with this. It will be worth it in the end. Your life is worth a fight and you're slugging away with the best of them. You'll beat them all down in the end! Kelle
BIGYANK
on 6/19/04 2:57 am - Atlanta, GA
Emory sucks BIG TIME! The stories that I could tell you. They are all imcompetent ******** I have decided to stick with them but I let them all know that I plan on raising $100 worth of hell along the way.
virgohoney
on 6/19/04 3:12 am - Covington, GA
Oh Becky, I am so sorry you are going thru this. My surgery with Dr. Robinson was to be the day after yours. When you went on to Emory, I just knew that you would be having yours very soon. I can't believe this is happening to you. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. Please don't give up though. I know you feel like this isn't meant to be, because I have felt that way many times, but hang in there...it will happen!! Hey, you can always take your approval to Dr. Duncan. I'm not sure why they told you that...because they told me that as soon as the approval was transferred, I'd have a date within the month...even though they took over two months to send it to insurance, once it was approved, my surgery was scheduled for two weeks later. Just keep praying, my mother always said that "if it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger." So be strong and remember that positive thoughts have a positive effect!! Good luck!! Chandra
Denise M.
on 6/19/04 4:31 am - Stone Mountain, GA
Becky, Here is a BIG for you! Remember, this is something YOU WANT- YOU DESERvE, YOU OWN! Take a DEEP BREATH, and EXHALE! Even though it does not seem like it, God knows whats best for us. I am glad you did not end up under some incompetant person! Let this work for you where you get the best possible person to do this for you. I know its hard, but keep your chin up, and be persistant! DO NOT LET IT GET YOU DOWN! We are cheering for you!!! Denise
DebbieJ
on 6/19/04 8:06 am - Atlanta area, GA
Becky so sorry to hear of all the problems you have encountered in this process. I agree with SusanN, why do you feel you must stick with Emory? Have you checked with Dr. John Daly or Dr. Christopher Hart? In my opinion the two best surgeons in Atlanta. Don't give up, the end result is so worth the wait. Debbie
Most Active