Dr for Lap Band - Atlanta area

Ms S.
on 6/8/04 6:46 am - Snellville, GA
I've just started reading all these boards the last few days. I spend hours and hours reading about all you brave wonderful and sometimes funny people. I feel like I know many of you. And to those of you that don't update your profile..shame shame shame. I get so involved reading all the details, the ups, downs, and then bam....you quit updating! Thank you everyone for all the postings. They are so much help to someone just starting out. Now...on to my question..I live near Atlanta and I am interested only in the Lap Band procedure. It seems almost overwhelming, all the paperwork, doctor visits, calls, evaluations etc. I don't even know where to begin! Pick a doc? Make an appt with the bariatric doc? Probably need to start with my primary doc. He better give me a referal. But does he give me a referal to someone HE knows..or to someone I've already choosen? Oh geez..the details are gonna kill me. Would love to hear your opinions on the doctors you've used. I can't seem to find much on the doctors that do LapBand. Thank you all.
Kelle W
on 6/8/04 8:55 am - Atlanta, GA
Alright Ms Storm, right back at ya on the profile tip! Tsk tsk tsk, no picture, no info...nothin'! We are some nosy folks here on the GA board and inquiring minds want to know all about you! Kelle
Ms S.
on 6/9/04 3:11 am - Snellville, GA
Oops...I'll get right on that profile update. *cough* I keep reading how everyone is quitting smoking before they have their surgery. This must be a requirement then, huh? Dang it. I actually am in the beginning stages of thinking about the fact that I might quit at some point in the distant future. Never even crossed my mind until recently (40th bday blah blah blah). Let's be honest....lots of people have surgery that smoke. Are the surgeons pretty stringent about this? Oh and another thing I keep reading about is the visit with the surgeon and what I consider the cattle call with everyone in a big room asking questions. I understand how this would be most expedient for the doctor but as a patient I"m not sure I want a doctor that is so busy he can't take the time for a one -on-one with me. After all the doctor is being handsomely paid for this surgery. moooooooooo
Patima
on 6/8/04 9:22 am - GA
When I started my research I was also interested in the Lap Band, however, I found later that my insurance company was no longer authorizing it, only the Open RNY. When I first started this journey, I researched and researched until I finally concluded that I wanted to pursue the surgery. I then made an appointment with my PCP to talk about getting a referral for the surgery, which is necessary because my insurance is an HMO. She asked me if I had researched a surgeon that I preferred and I gave her a name. She sent out for the referral that day! Once I found out what tests were needed, I again went back to my PCP who got me the referrals for each one. So it really depends on how your insurance works. From a lot of the posts lately, insurance companies are really slowing or not approving the number of WLS surgeries at the end of the year. I would start by finding out if your insurance company has any exclusions or plans on suspending approvals any time soon. That will give you a time frame to work with. Patti
Lkaye
on 6/9/04 12:07 am - Snellville, GA
Hello Ms. Storm, I also live in Snellville... I am to be banded on Monday June 14.. can't wait...I reserched all the dr. in area and choice to go to Dalton and see Dr. Ponce.. he is so nice.. but Dr. Fromm is the one doing the surgery.. any of those dr. are good it is only a 2 hr. drive so it is not that bad.. I went to a seminar with my husband first to meet the dr. and get more info before deciding what to do..after the seminar we were both like this is it.... I was also looking in to the DS... I like the benfits of the band better but that is my choice and everyone has to make that decision on there on.. Good Luck.... Laura
Pat Bell
on 6/9/04 1:26 am - Southeast, GA
Either call or check out Dr. J. K. Champion's site on the internet. I don't think Dr. Champion does the surgery but I think his partner Dr. Williams does them. Best of luck!
Kathy M.
on 6/9/04 10:57 am - Columbus, GA
I had the LapBand done at Emory by Dr. Daniel Smith, who is the head of bariastrics surgery there. He is a great guy and very expert. He has only recently begun doing LapBands, but I felt very comfortable with him. Certainly Emory is a very reputable hospital. I am a self-pay patient because my Company is self-insured and has excluded bariatrics surgery. The cost was $14,000 for doctor and hospital. I had my PCP write a letter of reference for Dr. Smith. Emory holds an open seminar on bariatric surgeries quite frequently. The phone number is 404/778-3603 to find out about it. You can also try 404/778-5673. There are 3 other doctors in with him and one of them performs LapBand. She would be a lot easier to get in with. As you can imagine, Emory is quite booked. I will tell you that I chose LapBand because I did not want to take the risk associated with RNY. I will also tell you that I have not gotten my fills to the sweet spot yet and have not had very quick weight loss. If you go to the board for LapBand, you will see a lot of great success stories. I think not everyone is alike, and I believe I will get there. I go tomorrow for my second fill and am hopeful this will do it for me. I recovered quickly from this surgery and had some quick weight loss at first, but find now that I can eat almost anything. I need more restriction. Surely RNY will get you quicker results but the upfront price is much greater. I do believe Emory is a good option for you and in your vicinity. Kathy
Most Active