Just got approval for surgery from Medicare

cheryl L.
on 6/2/04 12:21 pm - atlanta, ga
Hi Everyone, I have been working on qualifying for this surgery for 2 yrs. I finally got approval from Medicare. I am a 55 yr old female and have been obese all of my adult life. I am so new and dont have a clue as to what to do now. I am waiting for the Dr.'s office to set up my tests. I am a little concerned about my nutritional training. The paperwork I recieved from Emory Bariatric Clinic says that the nutritionist will cost $180 that will not be refundable by insurance. Does anyone know anything about that? I live on social security disability income as I have several disabling conditions and use a power wheelchair to get around. So, on my fixed income it will be impossible for me to pay that up front. Does anyone know where else I might be able to get the counseling for less or at no cost? Even a website on the diet after surgery would be helpful. I am looking forward to meeting and sharing with you all. Hope you are having a good week. Cheryl
lisasolis
on 6/2/04 10:49 pm - Rincon, GA
Congratulations on your approval!! I hope that one day soon you can come out of that wheelchair!! I also hope you can find a way to get the nutritionist to accept Medicare. I know there is a website you can go into called fitday.com that lists the nutritional value of foods and where you can record what you eat. Best wishes and prayers on your new journey. I will be 50 this year - and I figure - Better Late than Never!!!
Kelle W
on 6/3/04 2:37 am - Atlanta, GA
Cheryl, I can't offer any life experience advice with this issue, but my best suggestion would be to ask your surgeon's office about this. They might be able offer some alternatives or give you ideas on how to work around it! Kelle
Dixie P.
on 6/3/04 3:49 am - Atlanta, GA
Who is your surgeon?
nonamedamet
on 6/3/04 11:36 am - GA
Congratulations of your approval, long time coming but worth the effort. I wish I could give you an answer for the nutritionist, I went to one in Macon and the cost was less than half of what they are asking for in Atlanta. Praying for you, Theresa
hollyhobby
on 6/3/04 11:01 pm - Jonesboro, GA
Atlanta Medical Center is only $100 and I think it is worth it. Check that out. Maybe they can work something out where you can pay half and half.
Most Active