just wondering

Mary F.
on 6/1/04 4:23 am - Cambridge, MA
I have been trying to find information about long term health issues. Gastric Bypasses have been done for over 40 years, but all I hear is that there haven't been any real studies done. Sometimes you'll hear about nutritional loss, bone density loss, thyroid problems, leakage, etc. Does anyone really know what the future holds for WLS patients, healthwise? I know the benefits are there, but what are the medical risks longterm? Mary
Dixie P.
on 6/1/04 6:27 am - Atlanta, GA
I tried to find this information out too when I was pre-op and was very frustrated that there wasn't any information. If anything made me think that this surgery was a flash in the pan, it was the lack of data on long-term health benefits of wls. I went to a support group meeting and there was a woman there who was 19 years out. I picked her brain after the meeting. She said her health had been great and she had no complications. She said the surgery helped her get on board with a change of lifestyle and she has maintained it all these years. She was the greatest inspiration to me, and gave me hope that five years from now I won't be back trying to figure out how to lose 100 pounds. Good luck and keep me in mind if you find anything.
Most Active