June 21st Surgery Date

Pat S.
on 6/1/04 3:08 am - Fitzgerald, GA
20 days and counting. starting to get a little nervous. Never thought this would happen. I am so thankful and excited. Just curious about one thing.. Protien shakes - Dr says no and nutrionist says yes. Any thoughts
Kelle W
on 6/1/04 3:38 am - Atlanta, GA
Pat, I'm just curious as to when you got your surgery date of the 21st...I'm with a different surgeon, but I'm hoping and praying for the 21st as well. Thanks! Kelle
(deactivated member)
on 6/1/04 3:42 am - Warner Robins, GA
Congrats!!! I ahven't had surgery yet BUT my opinion is that yes you do need them at least for the first few months until you can get enough through food sources. My g-friend wasn't getting enough protein in and felt really bad for several months and it wasn't until her Dr suggested adding at least 2 protein drinks to her diet that she started feeling better. If you do not get in enough protein you will start muscle wasting and you have to remember that your heart is a muscle and you don't want to damage it. If he doesn't want you drinking the shakes maybe try the tasteless protein powders that you can add to soup, pudings, chili etc. Enough protein is a must!! Tonya
Mary F.
on 6/1/04 4:00 am - Cambridge, MA
Glad to hear it's getting close.....good luck
sambus24
on 6/1/04 4:54 am - Thomson, ga
WAY TO GO GOOD LUCK... sarah
Dixie P.
on 6/1/04 6:30 am - Atlanta, GA
OK, I'm one week post-op and my doctor said no to protein shakes, but I was STARVING on the water, boullion and milk, so I went to the health food store and bought some packets of protein shakes. They have made my recovery much more pleasant. I don't have headaches and I have lots more energy during the day. My pouch feels full after 3 oz. of a watered down shake (I can't drink the shakes the way you're supposed to make them, they're too thick, so I just add soy mil****il they are the right consistency for me). I try to limit the shake to my breakfast meal, as it gives me lots of energy for the coming day. My feeling is the doctor has the expertise in surgery and the nutritionist has the expertise in nutrition. So I go with the people I think are the experts in their field.
Most Active