Chewable calcium?

Kelle W
on 5/21/04 8:27 am - Atlanta, GA
I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find any chewable calcium tablets. I know we're supposed to take the calcium citrate specifically and am wondering what forms you guys take it in....how far out do you need to be to start taking all the vitamins and so forth? Also, does anyone here take extra vitamin C? I did find some chewable of that...I've been taking 1000 mg a day for about the last 6 months and for the first time in years, I didn't get sick once this winter. I'd like to keep that up but don't know if there's any restrictions on what we can or can't take. Also, need recommendations on the multi-vitamins. Are the ones you get off line any better really than the children's? Just need some advice and you guys are the best at that. Thanks! Kelle
Patima
on 5/21/04 9:06 am - GA
Hi Kelle, I saw your post concerning chewable calcium tablets. I am also using Dr. Appel for my surgery (just had my paperwork submitted to insurance company today). Did you use his recommended Dietician? I did - at Dekalb Medical Center. What they said to do for Calcium is that you need 1200 mg calcium per day. 300mg of that is from the two 1/2 cup servings of milk or yogurt per day. Therefore, you will need to take 900 mg of a calcium supplement to meet the calcium requirement. For example: 4 Citracal tablets, 2 Tums-Ex, 2 Viactiv chews, 1 heaping teaspoon of calcium carbonate powder. Calcium citrate (Citracal or generic) is best absorbed. Calcium is best used by the body at night when you are least active to prevent competition for absorbtion. I know from reading a lot of posts that many doctors have different recommendations concerning diet and nutritional supplements. I am going specifically by what MY doctor wants so if a problem occurs it isn't because I didn't follow his recommended instructions. Patti
(deactivated member)
on 5/21/04 10:09 am - Warner Robins, GA
I just ordered liquid vitamins, anti-oxidant and calcium on-line from Isotonix. My friends(all post-op) use them and are very pleased...plus they look so healthy. Figured I'd try them now to get a jump start Tonya
Cricket J.
on 5/22/04 6:18 am - Atlanta, GA
Which ones did you buy? Also, could you please look at my post about detail diet history again? One person gave me a reply but I would like a few more atleast. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 5/22/04 11:31 am - Warner Robins, GA
Monique, I ordered the Isotonix-OPC3 vitamins, Isotonix Antioxidant Single and the Isotonix Calcium Plus 300g Single. They are actually powders that you mix with water. The small bottle lasts about 1 1/2 months. I do have a diet history that I would be willing to share with you, but I can't e-mail it to you until Monday when I go to work. Send me a reminder e-mail and I will get it to you. Tonya
craftyangie
on 5/21/04 11:40 am - Cartersville, GA
Hey Kelle...I take the chewable calcium you get at GNC. It tastes similar to a tootsie roll. They are 500 mg each and I chew two a day. It is $7.99 a box. Hope this helps Angie
Diane G.
on 5/21/04 10:58 pm - Dacula, GA
Hey Kelle, My doctor said to use Tums w/ Calcium. or Viactive, it's a chewable form, tastes like a starburst, the have a creamsicle flavor, strawberry and a chocolate. all of them are really good. I treid the box w/ a sample of each. My daughter and grandmother like them too. I got it at Walmart. Diane G. Surgery scheduled 06-09-04 Dr. Hart
Kay Holder
on 5/22/04 10:40 am - Mableton, GA
I am urging you to read about carbonate (tums) vs citrate. Tums are not enough calcium, and studies show that citrate absorbs better. You wont know tums are a mistake for years until you have osteoporosis, and its better to be safe than sorry.
Kelle W
on 5/22/04 2:09 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks so much for all the info! I was under the impression from stuff I've read on here, mostly in the library that we could only absorb the calcium citrate. That's why I was asking about it specifically...but it's okay then to take the Viactivs and so forth? That would make it much easier! Kelle
hollyhobby
on 5/22/04 4:03 am - Jonesboro, GA
Kelle, We need to get together so I can share a copy of my notebook from the nutritionists office. You can also use caltrate chewable calcium. They taste like rolaids or tums. Anyway, call me later. Holly
Most Active