Preop testing is done....where's my date????

Kelle W
on 5/13/04 5:41 am - Atlanta, GA
Okay guys, I had my testing this morning for preop stuff......it went pretty well. It didn't take too long. The sonogram was a little painful cause they had to mash down so hard. The barium stuff was nasty to drink, I had to drink two full cups of it but they got all the xrays they need so it was worth it. There was a big chunk of solidified barium in the bottom of the cup that I picked out of my mouth. The doctor was like, oh! You got the cracker jack prize. He was really cool and funny. The only crappy thing now is Dr. Appel's office told me I wouldn't get my surgery date till two weeks after we see the surgeon, and it could be anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks out from that point. So, we're looking at me getting a date around the 11th of June and the surgery being anytime from July 1-July 29. The kink in all this is there's a chance that the union workers for Bellsouth could go on strike and they've told all of us that no one can plan any vacation time for the month of August. Well, I'm checking with our HR dept to find out if surgery counts as vacation....I know it doesn't really, but if they ask me if it's elective, I might have to reschedule for after August. Now this would only be a problem if they strike, and I don't think they will. But that's the time frame I'm working with right now. Just wanted to keep you updated! Kelle
mikkozoe
on 5/13/04 5:45 am - Conyers, GA
Kelle Well i know it kinda seams like a long way out but hang in there it will be here before you know it ...!!! I am sure of that ...and i have faith that they will not strike and you can have the first surgery date they give you with no problems or worries !!!! Laura
Kelle W
on 5/13/04 6:00 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks Laura, you know you always have such a positive attitude and I for one want to tell you I appreciate that! Especially when I have such a hard time keeping one Kelle
cbouland
on 5/13/04 6:22 am - Conyers, GA
You will be just fine. Hang in there.. Good things come to those who wait.... On the other hand.... Don't let your job dictate your surgery date.... You have not come all is way for someone to tell you you can't do the surgery because it is not the right time for them... Remember it is not elective surgery..... IT IS MEDICALLY NECESSARY!!!! You could also always have an emergency appendectomy or your gall bladder removed.... There are many ways around Bellsouth.... Sorry... I just had to intergect my opinion... Good luck to you!
Kelle W
on 5/13/04 7:34 am - Atlanta, GA
Did they have to redo the paperwork with insurance to get you approved with Dr. Steinberg? Kelle
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/04 11:34 am - Georgia Peach, MD
No. April just called my insurance company and had the code changed to Lap RNY. I had surgery two weeks later. It was imperative that I have surgery during the summer when my kids were out of school and that WOULD NOT have happened if I waited on Dr. appel - nothing against him because I feel he is one of the top surgeons in the field, but it was all about timing.
ShonF.
on 5/13/04 9:03 am - Peachy State, GA
Well, Kelle, don't stop now. You have came to far to stop now, so just check out all of your options right now. Like Connie said WLS is medically necessary not elective. I know your job is important, that's how we make a living and pay our bills, but I would try and get around if possible. Shondra
Kelle W
on 5/13/04 11:59 am - Atlanta, GA
I think my best bet is to ask the GA labor board how they would perceive the situation if (heaven forbid) it came for review before them. The best possible situation would be for there not to be a strike and it to be a non-issue, but in case that doesn't happen, I need to get ready. Thanks for all the great ideas guys! Kelle
Kelle W
on 5/14/04 12:20 am - Atlanta, GA
They already have asked me. I got a call back last night from one of the HR reps and the first thing she asked was if the surgery was elective. She said if it was I would need to make arrangements to either have it done prior to August, or put it off. I told her the surgery had been deemed medically necessary. Her response to that, well if you need surgery then you need surgery. The only thing that sucks is this HR rep is a big girl herself and she and I have already talked last Christmas while we were doing a community project together, about me wanting WLS so I'm sure she knows that's what this is. At this point, I'm just borrowing trouble. The strike hopefully won't go through or I'll get an early enough date that it won't be an issue. Thanks for the encouragement ya'll! Kelle
hollyhobby
on 5/14/04 12:59 pm - Jonesboro, GA
Kelle, Hang in there, maybe we will end up having the surgery around the same time. I am getting really uptight and want to get this over with tomorrow. It seems like I am waiting months when it is really only days. You definitely keep me upbeat, your advice always helps, even when it is directed to others. Hang in there . Holly
Most Active