This makes no sense-Insurance is insane

Meg S.
on 5/12/04 7:22 am - Savannah, GA
I just got denied from Tricare - not because it was not a medical necessity but because they do not cover the laprascopic procedure but they cover the open procedure. Now I have to decide do I want to try for the open or do I pay for the lap procedure myself???? I have a question - has anyone had the open - what is the recovery time versus the lap recovery time - what about complications? If anyone could tell me this I'd appreciate it. Meg
Kelle W
on 5/12/04 8:15 am - Atlanta, GA
Meg, I haven't researched the lap too much cause it's not an option for me, but as far as open goes, I've been told to expect a recovery time of 4-6 weeks (varies a lot depending on how you personally respond to recovery time). The complications are very similar I'm sure except with open you have the incision healing to worry about. That adds a kink to it and also is responsible, I'm sure, for some of the increased recovery time. Kelle
PEGGY B.
on 5/12/04 12:12 pm - SYLVA, NC
open is no big deal at least it wasnt for me i had open 10 yrs ago and now i am having laprasscopic the recovery was for me 1 -2 weeks but i am a real go gitter also the pain was the same as having a c section if insurance will pay for open do it you dont want to pay yourself trust me i ahve been their done that the first surgery .good luck
Siddy I.
on 5/12/04 11:08 pm - Savage, MN
My insurance would not cover the Lap so I had Open RNY 10-23-02. It was no big deal. My scar is only 4.5 inches long, thin and pale. It doesnt look bad at all. I had no problems, no pain, just sore for a couple of days. I was helping my Mom paint her kitchen just 4 days after my surgery. Good luck to you. Sidney
Most Active