Can we eat that?

Cricket J.
on 5/8/04 5:02 pm - Atlanta, GA
Hey guys I haven't had WLS but everybody is always talking about protein shakes and what have you. I know that you get a list of what you can eat after surgery but I was just wondering if anybody can find out that once you have WLS can you drink those new protien shakes by AVON? Yes AVON everybody has some weight lose program, go figure It's called SLIM LINE I think? I just thougt it would be some good info. to know. Thanks
ganurse
on 5/9/04 2:01 am - Columbus, GA
Monique, You can research the Slim Well Avon line. Because of the increased protein needs, they don't look like this is the type of protein drink we need. The website suggests "drinking a 6-8 milkshake instead of a meal". Each shake is 170 cal with 1.5g fat and only 3gm protein. They also have protein bars that have 55% less cal fat than a snickers. Actually they only have 110 cal, 3gm fat, but only 1gm protein...which doesn't make it worth it especially if your food/liquid intake is limited. I like the protein shakes offerred from www.vitalady.com. They offer a variety of different flavors that you can mix with either water or milk...some you can even mix with foods to increase your protein intake that way. www.bariatriceating.com also has flavors that are good too. Both have samples that you can order just to test out different flavors without spending a whole lot of money. My nurse practitioner recommeds that we will need 70-80gms a day post-op by the 2nd month. Most of the protein shakes from VitaLady and bariatriceating have about 30-45gms each...which helps out a lot!!!
PVail
on 5/9/04 2:28 am - Warner Robins, GA
I agree with Cindy. 3 grams of protein is not enough to make it worth your while to drink. I drink Dr. Adkin's protein drink and they seem to be really good to me. They have 20 grams of protein which is significant compared to the Avon shakes. I wasn't eating enough protein in the beginning so I have had to start drink protein. Hope that Cindy answered your questions and hopefully I confirmed it. Good luck.
Cricket J.
on 5/9/04 1:30 pm - Atlanta, GA
Thanks Guys, See how wonderful you are!
Most Active