Need help getting started.

Angela B.
on 5/7/04 3:49 pm - Savannah, GA
Hi I am Angela and I am finish with being large. I have been big all my life and I would like to be a small size person. I am now 37 years old and I do not want to be this size any longer. I weight 300 pounds if not more. My problem is a I like to eat and I mean eat all the time. I have tried a lot a different programs to get the weight off, but they do not work. I need to have this surgery to help limited my food intake. Please if there is someone out there who understand how a feel and can show me what I need to do to get started on the way to a better me. Thanks Angela
lisasolis
on 5/7/04 4:05 pm - Rincon, GA
Hi - I live in Richmond Hill, next door to you. Do you really feel as though you want the surgery? Do you have any insurance? They have a new program at Memorial Hospital which is very good and they are helpful. I am having my surgery in one week.
Sunny D.
on 5/7/04 9:59 pm - South, GA
Hey--I also live close to SAV -39-2 kids-----sounds like you are to the point I was at this time last year. I had my RNY in August and I started at 300 #. I'm only 5-4 so you can probably guess how I looked. I am down 105 #s and boy does it feel good. I have a ways to go--but this is the only long term solution (as you've figured out). People aroound me don't know that I had the "surgery". I was so embarrassed that I had gotten so huge. I really thought in my head that it wouldn't work for me-another failed diet attempt--oh well. But it does work! I ,like you, enjoyed eating. I still enjoy eating--but physically you can not hog up the food anymore. I do not have any ill effects (dumping, throwing up, gas etc.) though many do. I wish I would dump so the bad foods would give me a little reality jolt. As lisa said, start with your insurance. All policies are different. I did not need a letter from my reg Dr. (as I had not taken my big butt to the Dr in so long) I got the packet of info from Dr. Champions office in atlanta and filled it out. I do not know about the SAV program. I just know they started one. Let us know if you have anymore questions. Here-you are not alone
Angel Sellers
on 5/8/04 5:05 am - Smyrna, Ga
Hi Angela: I can really identify with how you feel. I have dieted pretty much all of my life to some to degree, only to fail & gain even more weight. I was really bad about "comfort foods" & being a total carb addict I actually researched this whole idea of surgery for a few years before actually moving forward with it. Initially it was because I was unsure & scared a little, but then it turned in to an issue of financing because I did not have insurance coverage. I finally took the big step on 2/3/04 & couldn't be happier. The main thing to do is to make sure you have really researched the procedure itself & the lifestyle change that you must be willing to make long term. This is not the cure all, it is a tool to aide you in the rest of your life. You have to make sure you are commited & understand that it still isn't an easy road & you will have to really work @ it if you want long term success. This site is great to start researching & of course you can pull up bariatric surgery on any search engine & read various things. I used Dr. Champion in Marietta & he is wonderful. You can go to his website for good info & request a packet that is very beneficial & it explains both the short & long term of choosing WLS. You probably also want to go ahead & check with your insurance carrier to find out the guidelines they have for this procedure or if you don't have insurance look into financing options. I personally used my home equity line of credit, which fortunately has a reasonable rate & it is tax deductible. I wish you all the best on your journey. If I can be of any help feel free to email me @ [email protected]. Take care & God bless Angel
dakins
on 5/8/04 10:58 am - Statesboro, GA
Hello Angela, I know the feeling I am having surgery in one month. My insurance did not pay so I researched alot of different doctors and resources. Make sure the surgeon has performed over 200 surgeries. This is the best website for you to be on. You will love coming on here and you have alot of people backing you. Take Care. Debbie
Nancy B.
on 5/10/04 1:02 pm - Savannah, GA
Hi Angela, It sounds as if you have already started your journey. You are seeking information and have made some choices about your weight and how it is affecting your life. I would suggest a vist with your regular doc first. Your BMI should be high enough to qualify you that way. Do you have other health problems such as high blood preasure? It is sad to say, but when dealing with insurance, the sicker you are the better your chance for approval. I have heard that Memorial has a good program also. I am having my surgery on June 4th at Ft. Stewart. I am just down the road from you!! If you want to talk please feel free to e-mail me. Best of luck to you...don't give up your dream!! Nancy T.
Most Active