Please help Should I do it and Is the surgery so Painful when you wake-up?

Jean C.
on 5/2/04 11:23 am - Tifton, GA
I am 3 months post-op and I am very happy I had the surgery. My advice is for you read as much as you can so you know what complications may arise and what benefits there are. Second, you need to ask yourself if you think you can permanently lose your excess weight. Then if you what to have the surgery, find a good doctor that knows how much WLS has helped people. As far as the pain, I have had several surgeries. I had my WLS performed lapronscopically and I was up the same night to walk to the door and back to bed. By the next afternoon I was walking down the hall and back. I took the pain meds and didn't think twice about it because I knew that the best way to get better is to WALK. The pain meds help you to get out of bed and walk. This surgery for me wasn't bad at all, but everyone is different. I was prepared to have a lot of pain but didn't have much at all. Jean
Pat Bell
on 5/3/04 2:34 am - Southeast, GA
You did not say if you were having the open or lap RNY? I had lap RNY & gallbladder removal on 1/20/04 and was never in pain. There was some discomfort for three days which felt more like a lightweight had used me for a punching bag (no severe pain, just discomfort when I moved). The only pain medication I took was at bedtime in case I turned wrong during the night. I wasn't being strong, I just didn't need pain medication. If I'd needed it I'd have been the first to ask for it. I drove home on day 5. A friend was with me and could have driven but I felt fine and decided I'd rather be driving than riding. I started walking for exercise on day six and returned to work full time, feeling great. I'd have it done again tomorrow, but I've been complication free and felt good from the day I woke up in the hospital. Others have not been as lucky but everybody seems to reach a point that they say they'd do it all over again. My internist was as negative as your therapist when I mentioned it. I swithched to a new internist who is a big supporter of wls for morbidly obese patients. If we know it's the right decision for us we have to find the right people to support us through the process. I do think those having the open procedure would have a different take on the pain but I've seen many in our support groups who attended the support meeting a week after having the open procedure done. Best of luck to you.
Most Active